Ashes 2017 Fixtures and Venues - Explore Top 5 Cities of Australia
- SEEMA NANDE
- Oct 03, 2017
- 65 Views
- Things To Do
With the cricket fever catching up all over the world ahead of the 2017–18 Ashes series, Australia is trending to be a hot destination on the tourism front. Spanning across a span of forty-six days, these test series commence on the 23rd of November 2017 and dive into the new year, concluding on the 8th of January 2018. This huge window leaves a lot of space to explore Australia’s top five cities Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney and of course their glorious nearbys. We present to you an ultimate lowdown on how to get most of each match and city! Afterall, what is an Aussie sojourn without some opera, koalas, beaches, the Great Barrier Reef, Tim-Tam Slam, Victoria Bitter, and vegemite?!
Dates: 23rd to 27th November
Venue: The Gabba
Time: 11:00 am (AEDT)
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
The Gabba has been a synonym to several Australian legendary matches! Considered to be one of the great fortresses of the home team, this ground has only witnessed victory for the Aussies. A great connectivity and leisure options right outside, the Gabba beckons a once in a lifetime experience for all those visiting Brisbane especially for the matches. With a location fringing the Brisbane River, distinct Queenslander characteristics, and an interesting mix of places to visit in Brisbane the city calls out to all those who seek a little bit of everything.
Best moments of Ashes at the Gabba -
- Eddie Paynter’s iconic 10th to 16th February 1933 test
- Jeff Thomson’s shenanigans in the 1974 November 29th to December 4th test
- The 2002-03 Ashes series when Australia was unstoppable
- Steve Harmison’s surprisingly poor performance in the 2006 November 23rd to 27th test
- The 2010 test that had tables turning for Australia after a series of defeats in England
How to Reach the Gabba -
- Main St at The Fiveways, stop 9 Bus Station; Buses: 234
- Stanley St at Jurgens Street, stop F Bus Station; Buses: 174, 175 and 204
- Stanley St at East Brisbane School, stop 10 Bus Station; Buses: 184, 185, 210, 212, 230, 235, N184, N226
Places to eat near the Gabba -
- Pearl Cafe
- Sorellina Pizzeria Restaurant
- Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar
- Banana Leaf Thai Restaurant: East Brisbane
- McDonald's Kangaroo Point
A central location along with a match that will last for 6 hours approximately, you can explore the city’s points of interest easily.
Popular attractions near Gabba -
- Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary: 20 minutes away
- City Botanic Gardens: 5 minutes away
- Queensland Gallery of Modern Art: 10 minutes away
- Mount Coot-tha, Queensland: 20 minutes away
- South Bank Parklands: 7 minutes away
If you are planning on waiting till the 2nd test held in Adelaide, check out these places to stay in Brisbane that are close to the ground and the attractions.
2nd Test (d/n)
Dates: 2nd to 6th December
Venue: Adelaide Oval
Time: 2:30pm (AEDT)
Image Source: 2.bp.blogspot.com
The second test is one of the most anticipated events in the history of Ashes as this will be the first ever match played in lights! Starting at 2:30 pm visitors can cash in on the opportunity to explore Adelaide’s mesmerizing multi-cultural being. A joyous dine-out scene is what fairly dominates this ‘City of Churches’. Dig a little deeper and you will find yourself amidst a mind-numbing number of pubs tucked into every aisle of the much-bohemian lanes. But, with the number of bars and lounges finding a place in the ground itself, you can just relax and anticipate the fate of the match ahead.
Best moments of Ashes at the Adelaide Oval -
- The 1932-33 test that got the Englishmen in news for their “bodyline” tactics
- The 1970-71 test that saw an unfortunate captain change
- Steve and Mark Waugh outshine each other in the 1990-91 test
- 2006-07 test that saw Warne’s “greatest Test bowling performances of all time”.
- The 2010-11 Test that saw Kevin Pietersen and Alastair Cook bleeding it out on the field.
How to Reach Adelaide Oval -
- Stop 1 King William Rd - West side Bus Station; Buses: 209F, 222, 222R, 224, 224F, 224X, 225F, 225X, 228, 228F, 228X , 229F, 229X, 230, 232, 232R, 251, 252, 253, 253X, 254, 254X, 951, G10, N224, and N254
- Stop AO11 Victoria Dr - South side Bus Station; Buses: A011
- Stop 2 Montefiore Rd - East side Bus Station; Buses: 98A, 235, 271, 273, and 974
Places to eat near Adelaide Oval -
- Ian McLachlan Room Lounge
- Neil Kerley Bar
- William Magarey Room Lounge
- John Halbert Room Lounge
- Graham Cornes Deck Lounge
Thanks to the matches that will start late afternoon, you have ample time to visit the surrounding points of interest of Adelaide in the earlier part of the day.
Popular attractions near Adelaide Oval -
- St Peter's Cathedral Cathedral - 1 minute away
- Light's Vision Monument - 2 minutes away
- Peace Park - 3 minutes away
- Brougham Place Uniting Church - 8 minutes away
- Adelaide Central Market - 10 minutes away
- Art Gallery of South Australia - 3 minutes away
Check Out the England Test squad for Ashes tour.
Some of these places to stay in Adelaide have been chosen time and again by visitors coming to the city especially for the Ashes.
Dates: 14th to 18th December
Venue: WACA Ground
Time: 1:30 pm (AEDT)
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
Lovely Perth enjoys the reputation of being one of the most laidback cities in Australia. Blame it on the beaches, a gloriously happy weather, or the torpid Swan River making its way through a maze of skyscrapers into the Indian Ocean. A perfect setting to indulge in Australia’s favorite sport. Get an early start to the day and you can cover a good number of the things to do in Perth just before the match. Post the match, dish out at the many restaurants engulfing this historical ground.
Best moments of Ashes at the WACA Ground -
- Ricky Ponting’s grand debut at the December 1995 Test
- Johnson's rather emotional exit in the November 2015 Test
- Taylor’s invincible performance at the November 2015 Test
- Hayden's 380 runs that served as a triple treat in the October 2003 Test
- Adam Gilchrist amusing “6,6,4,6,1,6,1,4,4” at the December 2006 Test
How to Reach WACA Ground-
- Nelson Av Trinity College Stand 3 Bus Station; Buses: 28
- Adelaide Tce Westend Causeway Bus Station; Buses: 220, 960
- Nelson Cr Waca Red Cat 1 Bus Station; Buses: Red CAT
Places to eat near WACA Ground-
- Heirloom Restaurant & Bar
- Montereys Restaurant
- Beau Rivage at Gloucester Park
- Royal Cambodia Restaurant
The matches that will start at 1:30 pm will leave you with a good amount of time to explore the stadium’s adjoining points of interests!
Popular attractions near WACA Ground -
- Kings Park & Botanic Garden - 10 minutes away
- The Perth Mint - 5 minutes away
- Fraser Avenue - 9 minutes away
- St. Mary's Cathedral - 5 minutes away
- Lotterywest Federation Walkway - 10 minutes away
Looking for places to stay in Perth? The city has a multitude of comfortable and budget accommodations.
Dates: 26th to 30th December
Venue: Melbourne Cricket Ground
Time: 10:30am (AEDT)
Image Source: en.wikipedia.org
One of the most dynamic cosmopolitans across the world, Melbourne is this incredible melange of art and culture. It is the city’s pubs, quaint neighborhoods, and a huge dose of sports that depict the city’s melange oh-so-beautifully. If you are visiting Melbourne for the Ashes, rest assured you are bound to have a great time at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG). With a plethora of restaurants and interesting attractions in Melbourne, you can have a lovely sojourn in the city catching up with the Ashes.
Best moments of Ashes at the Melbourne Cricket Ground -
- Australia hosts the Centenary Test of the 1977 Ashes
- In the 1982 Test when Allan Border and Jeff Thomson fell a little short of the aimed score
- Shane Warne’s hat trick at the 1994 Test
- Shane Warne’s delightful “script” at the 2006 Test
- In 2010 Test when the Englishmen saw light like never before
How to Reach Melbourne Cricket Ground-
- Rod Laver Arena/Melbourne Park Light Rail Station; Trams: 70, 75
- MCG - Hisense Arena/Melbourne Park Light Rail Station; Trams: 70, 75
- Rowena Parade Bus Station; Buses: 246
Places to eat near Melbourne Cricket Ground -
- Da Bruno Ristorante Pizza
- GAZI Restaurant
- Papa Goose Restaurant & Bar
- Blondie Bar
- Chocolate Buddha
Popular attractions near Melbourne Cricket Ground -
- Royal Botanic Gardens - 7 minutes away
- Shrine of Remembrance - 10 minutes away
- National Gallery of Victoria - 6 minutes away
- Block Arcade - 7 minutes away
- State Library of Victoria - 7 minutes away
You will be spoilt for choice with the places to stay in Melbourne, thanks to the city’s vastness.
Dates: 4th to 8th January
Venue: Sydney Cricket Grounds
Time: 10:30am (AEDT)
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
You will never run out of things to do in Sydney owing to its uber-urbane being. The Ashes held at the Sydney Cricket Grounds bestows visitors with a great opportunity to explore the city. There is a multitude of restaurants surrounding the ground along with some great attractions to check out. The history of the ground dates back to the year 1811, indeed, an incredibly historic place to be at.
Best moments of Ashes at the Sydney Cricket Grounds -
- Fred Spofforth’s punch-up in the January 1883 Test
- December 1894 Test that tested time with Australia’s defeat
- Reg Foster’s introduction the world with almost a triple century and Victor Trumper’s indescribable performance in the 1903 Test
- Oldfield’s wonder catch in the February 1925 Test
- Steve Waugh’s last-ball ton in the 2003 Test
How to Reach Sydney Cricket Grounds -
- Moore Park Bus Station
- Cook Rd near Furber Lane Bus Station
- Anzac Pde opp Sydney Boys High School Bus Station
Places to eat near Sydney Cricket Grounds -
- Non La Vietnamese Restaurant
- Missy K
- Bar Ume
- Masala Kitchen
Popular attractions near Sydney Cricket Ground -
- Sydney Harbour - 19 minutes away
- Bondi to Coogee Beach Coastal Walk - 15 minutes away
- Sydney Opera House - 8 minutes away
- Royal Botanic Gardens - 5 minutes away
- The Rocks - 10 minutes away
An eclectic mix of places to stay in Sydney close to the stadium will make sure you have a super convenient sojourn!
Finally, don your spirits and enjoy the sport in this beautiful country you will want to keep coming back to!
Disclaimer - the mentioned distance is respective minutes away by car.