10 Hill Stations Near Hyderabad
Hyderabad, the capital city of Telangana, is an exciting place that keeps its residents busy with lots of activities to do and cultural attractions to visit. Apart from being a technological hub, the city is home to many historical places like the Golconda Fort and Charminar. Although Hyderabad is surrounded by hills and artificial lakes, summers in the city can be oppressive as the temperature rises above 35 degree Celsius. Come March or April, walking on the roads of the city makes one crave for a cooler destination. And, if you want some relaxation from the scorching heat of the Sun, the hilly terrain of Hyderabad provides an escape. Here are 10 hill stations near Hyderabad that are closest to the city and make summers full of joys and comfort.
1. Araku Valley
With an elevation of 910 meters, Araku valley is located in the Eastern Ghats Mountain Range in Vishakhapattanam. This place is known for its beautiful valleys, waterfalls, and streams flowing by the side of the train track and roads. The journey to Araku Valley is a stunning one as the rail passes through tunnels, hillsides and streams.
How to reach from Hyderabad: Located at a distance of 706 Kms from Hyderabad, the nearest railhead to Araku valley is Araku station. You can reach here via Janmabhoomi Express.
Best Time to Visit: April to August
Things to do in Araku:
- Enjoy the panoramic views of Ananthagiri hills.
- Take a short drive to enjoy the best views of coffee plantations on the Ghat route.
- The valley has a large number of waterfalls. Not to be missed is the Damuku View point.
- Visit the Government Silk Farm, Mulberry Gardens and Araku Tribal Museum.
- You can also visit the Tyda Park that offers a great opportunity to spot wildlife from a close distance.
- You can also visit the Borra caves that are located at a distance of 37 kms.
Make your Journeys, an affair to remember! Plan a trip with TripHobo's easy to use itinerary maker.
2. Nallamala Hills
Bored of all the things to do in Hyderabad? Head over to the Nallamala Hills located in the Eastern Ghats. The hills are spread through the districts of Kurnool, Nellore, Guntur, Prakasam, Kadapa, and Chittoor. They are awe-inspiring with their rocky terrain and dense forests that envelop the hills. The Nallamala Hills is also home to the largest tiger reserve in India and Srisailam, an important pilgrimage for the people in South India. The hills have an elevation of 1,100 meters.
How to reach from Hyderabad: Located at a distance of 213 kms, the Nallamala Hills can be reached via road, night buses and trains.
Best time to Visit: January to May
What to do in Nallamala Hills:
- TheSrisailam Dam is the main attraction of the region.
- Srisailam Lord Shiva Temple, Ahobilam Navanarasimha Temple and Mahanandi Temple are much sought after pilgrim centers in Nallamala Hills.
- There is a sacred pool called Nemaligundam and Mallela Tirtham waterfalls. The Lake of Cumbum is one of the oldest man-made lakes and it dates back to 15th century.
- Many parts of these ranges are still unexplored and have tribal settlements in the hilly region. You can explore these places.
Often referred to as the ‘Kashmir of Andhra Pradesh’, the beautiful valleys of Lambasingi experience minus degree temperatures in winters. Rising 1000 meters above the sea level, Lambasingi hills are nestled in Chintapalli Mandal of Visakhapatnam district. If you are here in winter, you can experience the snowfall. Thanks to growth in the tourism sector, they are being developed into a tourist hotspot. A must visit place near Hyderabad!
How to reach from Hyderabad: Located at a distance of 571 Kms, Lambasingi can be reached via train from Hyderabad to Visakhapatnam from where you can hire a cab.
Best Time to Visit: December to January
What to do in Lambasingi:
- Lambasingi Hill Station is a pristine place, and you would like to explore more spots of natural beauty on your own.
- Lambasingi is also known for its coffee and pepper plantations that were first grown here by the British.
4. Ananthagiri Hills
Located at Vikarabad in Ranga Reddy district of Telangana Ananthagiri Hills, where the River Musi originates, is the main water source for Osmansagar and Himayatsagar and have the densest forests of Telangana. Apart from ancient caves and medieval fort structures, it has an ancient temple too. It is also the closest hill station to Hyderabad.
How to Reach from Hyderabad: Located at a distance of 81 Kms from Hyderabad, Anathagiri hills can be reached via the train that drops you at Vikarabad railhead.
Things to do in Anathagiri hills:
- A haven for trekkers.
- You can walk around in the Ananthagiri forest that offers great views of the valley and waterfalls.
- You can also camp at the Deccan Trail and can try on activities such as rock climbing, balancing boards, Spiderweb and Tarzan swing.
PC: Ankur P/Flickr
Dandeli is located in the Uttar Kannada district of Karnataka. Dandeli is famous for its limestone structures. Well known for River Rafting, Dandeli beams with adventure activities such as trekking, bird watching, and others! Perhaps the most famous tourist spot near Hyderabad and Bangalore.
How to reach from Hyderabad: Dandeli is at a distance of 595 Kms from Hyderabad. Taking a train from Hyderabad Kacheguda will drop you at Hubli Junction from where it is a short drive to Dandeli.
Things to do in Dandeli:
- Whitewater rafting and boating are popular activities.
- Plan a visit to the Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary and explore the exotic wildlife that includes black panthers, Tigers, Elephants, Wild Dogs, Giant Squirrels, and Crocodiles.
- Kavala caves, Ulvi temple, and Syntheri rocks are also some of the main attractions in Dandeli.
Ooty has an altitude of 2240 meters. This beautiful city can be reached easily from Coimbatore and Mysore. Often considered as the Queen of Hills, Ooty is a favorite destination for people craving for relaxation from the scorching sun. Ooty is also the headquarter of the Nilgiri District.
How to reach: The distance between Hyderabad and Ooty is 850 Kms. You can reach Ooty via Shirdi Express that will drop you at Coimbatore. From here, Ooty is just 85 Kms.
Things to do in Ooty:
- Kal Banaga's Stone is the most popular attraction.
- There are more places near Ooty such as Doddabetta, Kalhatty Falls, and Kandal Cross Shrine that you would not want to miss.
- Nagarjuna Sagar
- The Government Botanical Gardens are must-visit.
Also Check: Top 7 Hill Stations Near Chennai
7. Nagarjuna Sagar
Known for its huge dam, Nagarjuna Sagar is a perfect place to relax your nerves amidst the beauty of nature. Nagarjuna Sagar was built across the Krishna River between Nalgonda and Guntur. With a length of 1550 meters, Nagarjuna Sagar Dam rises 124 meters above the river level.
How to reach from Hyderabad: Nagarjuna Sagar is 164 kilometers from Hyderabad via road. Take a direct train from Hyderabad to Macherla and stop at the nearest railway station to Nagarjuna Sagar.
Things to do in Nagarjuna Sagar:
- Stop at the dam to click some pictures of the mountainous region and the rivers.
- Boating to the island of Nagarjunakonda is one of the popular activities to do here.
- If you are an art and history lover, visit the Buddha museum to see the ancient collection.
- The nature enthusiasts also like to explore the area around Ethipothala Waterfall.
With an elevation of 1090 meters, Chikmagalur is a favorite hill station to many tourists. The place is located in the south of Baba Budangiri, a mountain range in the Western Ghats. For everyone who loves to sip coffee with loved ones, Chikmagalur is a heaven. If you are looking for an escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, Chikmagalur is the place for you. Close to Chikmagalur is Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary.
How to reach from Hyderabad: Chikmagalur is located at a distance of about 700 km from Hyderabad. The best way to reach Chikmagalur from Hyderabad is by flight. You can take a flight from Hyderabad to Mangalore, the nearest airport to Chikmagalur, which takes over 2 hours.
What to do in Chikmagalur:
- Chikmagalur is most famous for Baba Budangiri which is one of the highest peaks in Karnataka and offers spectacular views of the surroundings.
- In addition to Baba Budangiri, Chikmagalur features some other picturesque spots like Kalathgiri Falls, Z Point, and HebbeFalls.
- Some of the popular attractions in Chikmagalur are Sringeri, Kudremukh, and Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary, and Kemmanagundi.
- Kudremukh Trek
- Narasimha Parvatha Trek
- Kemmanagundi Trekking
9. Horsley Hills
Located in the Madanapalle taluk of Chittoor district Horsley Hills is a perfect summer destination. The hills are known for the solitude they offer and their incredible beauty that will make you fall in love with it. The hills have an elevation of 1,290 meters. The hill station is best known for its waterfalls, lakes, and heritage sites.
How to Reach from Hyderabad: Horsley-hills is 528 Kms from Hyderabad and is connected through Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) and some private travel services.
What to do at Horsley Hills:
- The world’s largest banyan tree Thimmamma Marrimanu spread over 8 acres lies 75 km away from Horsley Hills.
- A few ancient temples perched atop the surrounding hillocks around Horsley Hills are also an added attraction.
- Adventure sports, trekking, wildlife spotting
Having an altitude of 700 to 2100 meters above the sea level, Wayanad is a favorite place to the people who are looking for something different in their life. the entire area of Wayanad comprises of mountains, valleys, and jungles that make it a paradise for trekking enthusiasts. There are many places in Wayanad that are still unexplored. If you have an adventurous side, you would love exploring some. Check out the best places to stay in Wayanad for your vacation.
How to reach from Hyderabad: Hyderabad to Wayanad distance is 691 km and you can get there by flight + cab in just over 8 hours and 51 minutes or by train + bus.
Best Time to Visit: October to February
What to do in Wayanad:
- Chembara Peak, with an altitude of 2100 meters, is known as one of the highest peaks in Southern India. If you are a trekking enthusiast, you will love trekking here.
- Meenmutty Waterfalls is also a famous spot for nature lovers.
- You might also like to visit the places like Edakkal Caves, Kuruvadweep, and Banasura Sagar Dam.
- Trekking, sightseeing, hiking
So which of these hill stations would you like to visit from Hyderabad?
You may also like to read: