It's not many a times that you shall find beach festivals taking place at a grand stage in India. However, this year the Indians can boast of one festival that will definitely add to the tourism quotient of India. So if you still waiting to know which one is it - then this blog might be of tremendous interest to you. Festa De Diu - yes, this is the name of the longest winter beach festival of India that is sure to enthral many with the events it promises to hold.
Something about Diu: Diu is a tiny union territory is India that is rather famed for or visited for its serenity. Unlike Goa, Diu is more famous for its untouched nature, laid back culture and pristine sea shores. However, this year Diu will sizzle with thrilling performances, live concerts, promising stars set up in a festival village with luxury beach tents, spa, dinning and conference space facilities. Diu has 2,500 hotel rooms to organize this mega event.
Dates of the Festival: This festival would span across three months, from December 2015 to February 2016. With concerts, carnivals, jam sessions and more than 300 artists such as Shreya Ghosal, Vir Das, Indian Ocean and Milind Soman set to perform; this beach festival will not let your spirits be at rest. Projecting a unique format, this festival will line up different artists performing to different weekly themes. You can also have further fun that would include various jam sessions, concerts, carnivals, literary and art programs, workshops and community outreach programs.
Venues: With Diu, you cannot expect closed venues. Keeping in mind the natural landscape of this union territory, the venues would be Caves, Beaches, Diu Fort and Amphitheatre. A few highlights are listed below:
19 December: Shibani Kashyap, sand art by Rahul Arya, boat-racing & swimming competition (Beach)
24 December: Chocolate-making workshop (Caves)
25 December: Benny Dayal (Beach)
31 December: Hard Kaur (Beach)
3 January: Run for DIU Marathon with Milind Soman (Beach)
13 January: Kite-making workshop (Beach)
17 January: Interactive session with Darsheel Safary (Beach)
31 January: Kailasa (Beach)
7 February: Shreya Ghoshal (Caves)
12 February: Shilpa Rao (Beach)
13 February: Sivamani and Runa Rizvi (Beach)
How to Reach Diu
Just in case you need some information on how to reach Diu, here are the options:
- By Air: Daily flight to Diu from Mumbai lands at Nagoa Airport, except on Saturdays. All the international flights make use of Sardar Vallabhbhai Airport at Ahmedabad.
- By Rail: There are no direct trains to Diu. Nearest railway station is at Veraval which is well connected to various cities of Gujarat.
- By Bus: Both public and private service operators have buses to Diu from Ahmedabad. Alternatively, you can reach Una and from there hop onto either a private bus or hire a cab to get to the City.
- By Bike: The best way to get around and explore the scenic Diu would be hire a bike or a bicycle.
- By Bus: You can also make use of public transportation autos and buses to get from one place to another.
There would be a lot many of us who would like to take the advantage of this festival to explore Diu further. Here are some of the attractions that you definitely can’t miss as you visit Diu.
In addition to these attractions, Water sports activities, which are available round-the-year, adventure sports like bungee-jumping and hot air balloon rides are also planned.
With something of interest for each one of us, Diu will become the next hot travel destination in India.