A Guide To Vaishno Devi Darshan In Navratri
Visiting the holy cave temple of Vaishno Devi is an extraordinary thing no matter when you go. But, if you offer your prayers here during Navratri festival, you will get to see a whole new side of this mountainous temple in Katra town in Jammu & Kashmir. So, if you are planning a visit to Vaishno Devi temple during Navratri 2018, here are all the things you need to know. From understanding what Navratri is to tips for Vaishno Devi darshan, you will find all the information here.
1. What is Navratri?
Navratri is an auspicious Hindu festival marked by the celebrations that last for nine nights and ten days. Though it falls in the month of September or October, it is observed in the month of ‘Ashwin’ according to Hindu calendar. In some parts of India, it is also celebrated as Durga Puja with much zest and zeal. 3 different forms of goddess Durga are worshipped in these 9 days as it is believed to bring wealth and success.
There are four different Navratri festivals that are categorized according to seasons. But, the one celebrated the monsoon, Sharad Navratri, is the most important.
2. Why you should visit Vaishno Devi during Navratri?
Vaishno Devi temple is the most famous Durga temple in India. It is nestled in the Trikuta Mountains near the small town Katra in Jammu & Kashmir. Though it is visited by devotees throughout the year, coming here during Navratri festival is considered to be. It holds an even more significant place in the heart of people because it is one of 108 Shakti Peethas.
As the roads are slippery during the monsoon season, many people avoid embarking on the journey here. So, that makes Navratri the best time to visit Vaishno Devi. the weather is usually clear and transportation options like Vaishno Devi helicopter ride are also easily available.
3. How to visit Vaishno Devi?
- You first need to go to Jammu which is well-connected by air, train, and road with the rest of India. From here, go to Katra as it is the base town for Vaishno Devi.
- The distance between Jammu to Katra is around 50 kilometers and local taxis are easily available. The town of Katra is located at the base of the Trikuta Mountain. Facilities like accommodation, food, ATMs, parking, and medical attention are available all around Katra.
- The distance between Katra and Vaishno Devi Bhavan is 13.5 kilometers. You can choose to hike the well-maintained mountainous road if you are physically in good shape.
- You can opt for other options like electric vehicles, ponies, horses, and palanquins. You can go to Sanjichhat that is less than 10 kilometers from Katra if you want to take a helicopter ride.
4. Things to keep in mind while visiting Vaishno Devi
- Before starting Vaishno Devi yatra, it is important to register yourself at Yatra Registration Counter that is established at the Katra bus stand.
- This registration process can be done online while planning your journey.
- Though the accommodation is available at the Bhavan, it needs to be booked online well in advance.
- The free of cost accommodation is available on the first-come-first-serve basis.
- Objects like a leather belt, watch, handbags, pen are not permitted inside Mata Vaishno Devi temple. Talk to your guide first and make sure what you can carry.
- Be prepared to wait for long hours in the queue during the peak season.
Offer your prayers during Navratri and find peace in life!