Hotels in Kathmandu, Nepal
Where to Stay in Kathmandu, Nepal?
The capital city of Nepal, resting 1400 meters above sea level, Kathmandu is an experience like no other. This city sees a huge number of tourists every year, especially backpackers and young travellers looking for an adventure and so offers some of the most affordable places to stay in while also being home to luxury hotels for the well to do.
The majority of all Kathmandu accommodations can be found in the Thamel area. With travelling around the city being quite difficult sometimes, the best places to stay in Kathmandu are the most centrally located. Luxury options at Durbar Marg (near the former royal palace) generally start around $150. With that said, Kathmandu hotels are overall quite cheap for the level of luxury they provide, so for the extra charge, you will have every amenity you can ask for.
Budget hotel options or guesthouses are also very easy to find and tend to be around $50 dollars a night on average. The guesthouses and hotels to stay in the “Freak Street” area tend to be somewhat cheaper but are also slightly unsafe, with several pickpockets roaming the streets.
It should be noted that going through an agency to book hotel rooms or other accommodations for you can tend to up the prices by around 15% so if time is not a factor, one should carefully consider their options a few months in advance.
Being an upcoming and popular tourist destination, Kathmandu has a wide range of hotels, restaurants, cafes and lodges to choose from. While there are loads of options for budget-friendly lodges, hostels and guest houses. Do not opt for the one recommended by the taxi driver of any helpful tout on the street as his commission is included in the fare.
PLACES TO STAY
- Hotel Silver home: A budget Kathmandu hotel with clean rooms, good food, free Wi-Fi and airport pickup just in the neighbourhood of Thamel.
- Mahadev Guest house: A uniquely located guest house where you can catch the best view of sunset and sunrise of the Kathmandu valley at an extremely affordable price.
- Alobar 1000: Tastefully designed two homes with everything that you need to relax including a bar, lounge area, movie and dining hall, 24 hour hot shower and yes, amazing food. Dorms as well as private rooms available and this is a good budget hotel in Kathmandu.
- Yak and Yeti: Located near the Durbar marg, it was formerly a palace and now is a landmark 5-star hotel built around the era of World War II. It is a splurge hotel incorporating the old aesthetic construction with the new ones and has all the luxuries you urge for.
- Hotel Shanker: A 100 year-old palace that once belonged to the Rana’s now converted into a 5-star hotel holding a property of 4.4 acres right in the heart of the city. Best deal is to book online and get flat 20% off! A great way for accommodation in Kathmandu!
Hotels Near Attractions in Kathmandu
- Hotels Near The Crematoria
- Hotels Near Changu Narayan
- Hotels Near Kopan Monastery
- Hotels Near Kumari Chowk
- Hotels Near Budhanilkantha
- Hotels Near Dakshinkali Temple
- Hotels Near Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park
- Hotels Near Narayanhiti Palace Museum
- Hotels Near Trishuli River
- Hotels Near National Museum Of Nepal
- Hotels Near Babar Mahal Revisited
- Hotels Near Langtang National Park
- Hotels Near Thrangu Tashi Choling Monastery (gumba)
- Hotels Near Seto Machhendranath Temple
- Hotels Near Freak Street
- Hotels Near Maru Tole