Aachen Cathedral, Aachen
About Aachen Cathedral, Aachen
Aachen Cathedral, Aachen - Address, Phone Number
Address: Domhof 1, 52062 Aachen, Germany.
Phone: +49- 241477090
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 6K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Landmark, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The Dom Cathedral of Aachen is one of the most influential buildings in Europe – architecturally, historically and religiously. The great Emperor Charlemagne built it; he is buried here, along with many other later emperors and religious leaders. Some of Germnay’s most important historical treasures are contained within. Thirty of Germany’s kings were crowned inside this church. It is an important pilgrimage stop. The highlights are:
- Relics collected by Charlemagne himself, such as the cloak of the Blessed Virgin; the clothes of the Infant Jesus; the loin-cloth worn by Christ on the Cross; and the cloth on which lay the head of St. John the Baptist after his beheading – all of supreme religious importance.
- The Golden Shrine where Charlemagne’s bones are kept.
- Emperor Barbarossa’s huge golden chandelier.
- The Gothic Palpatine Chapel – the world’s most important example of Carolingian architecture.
- The Gothic choir and the magnificent gold front of its altar.
- The Shrine of the Virgin Mary.
- The wonderful stained class and mosaics.
- The Cathedral Treasury – some incredibly important relics and medieval artworks are stored here.
But all that is only on the inside – the Church’s stunning exteriors are equally impressive. You must also see:
- The beautiful Dome.
- The Belfry with its eight bells.
- The bronze Wolf’s Doors of the west Portal.
The cathedral was also one of the first UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Aachen Cathedral Information
- Take the guided tour. It will give you access to areas that regular visitors won’t have. It lasts 45 minutes. The 2 pm tour is in English and costs EUR 4.
- There are usually a huge bunch of tourist.
Aachen Cathedral Ticket Prices
- You may donate to the cathedral if you wish.
- There is a fee to see the treasury: EUR 5.
Aachen Cathedral Opening and Closing Hours
- You may call the cathedral to arrange for a guided tour.
- No visits during service hours.
- No tours before 11am (1pm on Sunday).
- You may only enter the Treasury after 10am.
How To reach Aachen Cathedral by Public Transport
- Walk, drive or take a taxi.
- Ask locals for public transport info.
- Bus Line 4 stop Kármán Auditorium.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Aachen before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Aachen and book an accommodation of your choice.