Agra is known as one of the historical centers of India. It has marked its existence on the world map being home to one of the Seven Wonders of the World and that is Taj Mahal. This third biggest city in Uttar Pradesh has managed to attract thousands of visitors with its eternal beauty. As you wander around the streets, the path is punctuated by many historical buildings and landmarks that are stories by itself. Ask any locals they will eagerly tell you stories about their past and heritage. If you are fond of battles, especially Mughal Empire then you have come to the right place. With these factors, the city’s close proximity to the capital of India, i.e Delhi has played a major role in increasing the tourism in Agra. To explore the city in the best way take up any Agra tours that many local tour companies offer. These packages include almost all the itineraries of Agra with Taj Mahal. For instance, Fatehpur Sikri, Agra Fort, Jama Masjid, Akbar’s Mausoleum, Chini-ka-Rauza (China Tomb) and Itimad-ud-Daulah and the famous Hindu pilgrimage place- Mathura.
If you have started thinking that Agra is only the place for history lover, then you haven’t explored Agra. This city is famous for its excellent leather goods, carpets, jewelries, marble work and of course handicraft like zari and zardozi. Visit the bustling marketplace (chowks) of the city and you will realize where the city’s heart truly lies.
Last but not the least, ignoring the food of Agra is a miss for a life. Petha (sweet candy) and Dal Moth (spicy lentil mix) are a must try foods of Agra. India is famous for street food and in this list Agra is not far behind. ‘Chaat’ which is said to be the famous street food in India founds its origin in Agra.
In a whole, Agra itineraries are enough to leave you tantalized! Each one of you should visit Agra at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Agra.
Essential travel information and Agra tips for your visit
- Don't scribble on the walls or spoil the monuments in any way. Do not throw litter in the parks and gardens.
- Check which climate is best to visit Agra.
- Time Zone – IST (UTC +5:30)
- Currency – Their official currency is Rupee.
- Electricity and Internet –Voltage: 220 V and 240V AC. For internet , free Wi-Fi access are available in some of the hotels;
- Language – Hindi is another common language the locals speak.
- Security – Police-100, Crime Police -1090, Ambulance – 102, Fire Brigade – 101. Avoid walking alone in the late evening hours, especially in deserted areas. Beware of pickpocketers.
- Off beaten Path – Visit the village to experience the true lifestyle of India. Don’t miss out the sunset point of Taj Mahal.
- Tipping- Buy tickets and hand the fee only to the authorized person.
- Tourist traps – If you are hiring a taxi via online, the fare comes at a much lower rate as compare to the ones waiting on the street. Hiring these road side taxis might make you extra for a short trip. Avoid going to the shops that your tourist guide might influence you to go for shopping.
- Customs – Make sure you don’t take any photography inside Taj Mahal as it is against the rule. Seek permission and submit entry fee before entering any monument. Respect the Indian culture during your tour.
Agra Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Agra. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Agra trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Agra
Save 4%Agra - Taj Mahal Full Day Exclusive Private TourNew on TripHobo
Save 4%Private Same Day Agra Tour By Car from DelhiNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Private Tour of Taj Mahal, Agra with Optional to Book with HotelNew on TripHobo
Save 4%Agra Full Day Monuments SightseeingNew on TripHobo
Save 10%Taj Mahal Tour at Sunrise : Private and All Inclusive.New on TripHobo
Save 7%Taj Mahal Sunset & Sunrise Private 2 Days Tour from DelhiNew on TripHobo