- Address: Lakhisarai, Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282007, India
- Timings: 08:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-5622641230
- Ticket Price: 110 INR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Garden, Historical Site, Architecture , Archaeological Site , Tomb, Heritage Building
Sikandra - Review
Sikandra is a famous heritage area of Agra which is most widely known as the burial place of Emperor Akbar. It used to be a favoured architectural site during the Mughal era, especially under Emperor Akbar.
Akbar had designed his own mausoleum called Tomb of Akbar the Great or Akbar Ka Maqbara in Hindi, which he illustrated so as to depict religious unity and harmony, involving the features of Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Christianity. Moreover, the tomb’s architecture reflects Emperor Akbar’s deep acceptance of universal religions and exceptional secularism.
During the build of the Museum, Akbar unfortunately died, and his son- Emperor Jehangir undertook completion of the tomb and named it as Sikandra. Jehangir also introduced numerous architectural alterations in the design of the mausoleum.
The tomb exhibits exceptional artistry of marbles upon the red sandstone used in the building of the tomb and minarets. Apart from Akbar’s Mausoleum, Sikandra also has the historical gardens built by city architect Sikander Lodhi, and the famous Baradi Palace.
- The ground floor of the mausoleum also bears the tombs of Akbar’s daughters Shakrul Nisha Begum and Aram Bano.
- The tombs are featured by beautiful scriptures and engravings along with painted patterns.
Sikandra Ticket Prices
- Given prices are for Non-Indians, non-SAARC and non-BIMSTEC countries.
- Entrance fee: Citizens of India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Maldives, Afghanistan, Thailand and Myanmar: 15 INR
- Other nations: 110 INR (Saturday – Thursday); 100 INR (Friday)
- Sikandra and its attractions are covered under the 500 INR ticket of ADA.
- Children below 15 years: Free
- Photography charges maybe additional.
- From Sunrise to Sunset.
How To reach Sikandra by Public Transport
- By renting or hiring a car/taxi.
Restaurants Near Sikandra
- Bikanerwala Ganpati Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Agra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Agra and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Sikandra
31.97% of people who visit Agra include Sikandra in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
30.59% of people start their Sikandra visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Sikandra
87.18% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sikandra