Nestled in a cosy corner of Sicily, Agrigento promises to rapt you with its architectural magnificence, fill you with wine and scrumptious delicacies and soothe you with boundless waters. You will never be able to get over the sheer beauty of it. Although it is best known for its Greek monuments, Agrigento offers so much more. Remarkable Greek temples and ancient cathedrals with intricate designs are a marvel. Museums, art and literature, and the endless blue hues wait for exploration by enthusiasts.
Known for its sulphur and salt mines, the most incredible rock salt mine is absolutely mind-blowing. Be sure to explore its large expanse and the salt cathedral.
If you are lucky, you may witness the annual festivals of joy, music, dance and literature, which give you an almost surreal experience.
Talking about Italy, and not about food is just not right. From a variety of pastas and pizzas to the very famous cannoli, everything here in Agrigento sums up to a feast. Almond, pistachio and basil announce their presence in this cuisine with grace. And don’t forget to try the seafood, after all it is on the sea shore.
A stroll in the market will give you a perfect idea of the art of Italy. Traditional sculptures made out of terracotta or cork, carpets, and traditional musical instruments are the forte of the Agrigento’s artisans.
Agrigento offers you an unparalleled experience, offering little, but the best of everything. Look forward to being mesmerized by the greatness, humbled by the culture and falling in love with beauty.
Agrigento Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Agrigento tips for your visit
- Time zone: Central European Time Zone; UTC+01:00
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Electricity and Internet: The voltage is 220V. Internet is available in some hotels and hostels as wi-fi.
- Languages: Italian is the official language. Sicilian is spoken too, however English is scarcely understood.
- Security: Police: 112, 113
- Road Assistance: 116
- Fire Brigade: 115
- Health Emergency: 118
- Coast Guard: 1530
- Tipping: Service charges are included in the bill by most restaurants, and so tipping is not customary, but appreciated.
- Off-beaten path: NA
- Tourist Traps: Beware of pickpockets, and carry limited money on you.