Visit Ahmedabad - Best of Ahmedabad
The sixth largest city in India, Ahmedabad is one of the culturally rich modern cities of the country. It is not known for its tourism industry but is a city worth visiting to understand the changing face of India.
The foundation of the city was laid by a Solanki ruler in the 11th century. It was called the city of Karnavati. A huge fort with twelve gates was the centre of the city. The city kept expanding outside the fort and grew in all directions.
In 1411, Emperor Ahmed Shah captured the city and the name of the city was changed to Ahmedbad to honour him. It was later ruled by the Mughal till the Maratha Peshwas captured the city under RaghunathRao.
It is interesting how the British treated the city during the British rule. Unlike other Indian cities, they did not integrate Ahmedabad in their ways of life. They kept themselves to the cantonment area and did not build any religious buildings or schools in the city.
The Sabarmati ashram of Mahatma Gandhi in Ahmedabad made it the primary centre of the Non violent Independence struggle. It is one of the important landmarks of the city which still promotes non violent approach against corruption in the country.
It is the main centre of the Gujarati culture and literature. Gujarati literature has a long tradition of wonderful work with depth and layers. Many of the authors have found a home in this beautiful city.
Ahmedabadi people are known to be extremely friendly and welcoming. The long festival of Navaratri is one of the merriest dancing festivals in Ahmedabad. Everybody dresses up and gears up for rounds of Garbha and Dandiya.
Ahmedbad has emerged as an important trade and industrial centre in India. It exports a number of things and the second largest cotton producer of the country. The Gujarathi community known for its business sense and talent has taken care of putting this city on the world map.
Because of its huge textile industry, the city is a popular shopping destination. Many people travel to the city to buy cloth and other supplies. The city is well known for good quality trendy clothes. Many wedding parties purchase wedding garments here.
Overall, Ahmedabad is an ideal city for living in India due to its vibrant cultural scene, the delicious Gujarathi cuisine, the high living standards and liberal atmosphere.
If you want to visit this city, you can volunteer for organizations that work in the city for social development and Women empowerment. Taking traditional Dandiyaraas classes and spending a Navaratri at Ahmedabad is also something you can do!
Ahmedabad Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Ahmedabad tips for your visit
Essential Info in Ahmedabad:
- Time Zone- UTC+05:30
- Currency- Indian National Rupee (INR)
- Electricity: Power in India is 230 Volts, 50 Hz. Internet 3G compatibility (4G recently introduced)
- Languages- Gujarati, Hindi and English
- Security- Numbers for emergency
- Ambulance - 108
- Fire- 101
- Police 100
- Tipping- Tipping is appreciated but optional
- When you arrive at the Airport, take the prepaid taxis or Rickshaws. These are government approved rates.
- In Ahmedabad, always carry a Rickshaw fare card. Rickshaw drivers can be really nasty sometimes.
- Always carry a bag of water with you.
- In winters, you will have to pack a lot of winter wear because of the cold. Summers are hot and therefore loose, cotton clothes will do.
- Carry sunglasses, scarves and sunscreen lotion during summer visits. In winters, keep a moisturizer with you.
- Try the local cuisine and street food of the city.
- Bring a phrase book and city guide with you.
- Be careful from thieves and take safety measures to protect your wallet.
- Do not travel at night on your own unless you know any locals.
- Do not wear a lot of jewellery while travelling and avoid carrying cash. Carry a debit card/credit card instead.
- Do not litter the city.
- Do not disrespect the local culture.
Are you looking for a Ahmedabad travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Ahmedabad Tourist Information
Ahmedabad Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Ahmedabad
Save 7%An Insight tour of Ahmedabad New on TripHobo
Duration: 4 Hrs
Ahmedabad is one of Gujarats most prosperous metropolises and a fascinating maze of cultural discoveries. Take this short tou...
Save 7%The Everlasting Past: A Tour of Old Ahmedabad New on TripHobo
Duration: 4 Hrs
This four-hour of a private tour will take you through the streets of Ahmedabad, allowing you to explore some of the fam...
Save 7%The Wonders of Old Ahmedabad and Sabarmati: A Full Day Tour New on TripHobo
Duration: 4 Hrs
This 7-hour of a private tour will begin in the streets of Old Ahmedabad where you will visit multiple mosques including the ...
Save 7%A Heritage Walk of Old Ahmedabad New on TripHobo
Duration: 5 Hrs
This 5-hours of a private tour will begin with visiting some famous mosques in Old Ahmedabad which include, The Jama Masjid, ...
Popular Hotels in AhmedabadView all Hotels in Ahmedabad
More about Ahmedabad
The Best Resorts Near Ahmedabad For A Weekend Outing!
- Ahmedabad is undoubtedly one of the most important cities of Gujarat! Apart from its glorious history and rich culture, the city also enjoys close proximity to various fun, enjoyable attractions, parks and some majestic natural wonders. The best part about them is that almost a majority of these wondrous places can be visited with a short drive, and without having to take extra time from all of your busy schedules. So, especially for those super busy folks who can’t afford to take out time from their hectic lifestyle, here are some of the best resorts near Ahmedabad, perfect for a weekend getaway or a one day picnic!1. Palm Greens Club
Weekend Getaways Near Ahmedabad
- A charming city in the state of Gujarat, Ahmedabad has plenty of things to do and see that can keep one occupied for ages!
5 Must-Visit Places In Ahmedabad
- The city of the famous Dandi March- Ahmedabad is not confined to its age-old identityonly, but contemporary India knows this huge city of Ahmedabad as the city housing the best institute of management studies also.[ADD]Starting from historical monuments and forts, mosques, to vintage car museums, lakes and sanctuaries- Ahmedabad has so much to offer that you cannot get enough of it in a short trip.As per your budget, you can comfortably select your stay from a long list of good Gujarat hotels . As there are numerous tourist spots in Ahmedabad, we present to you a handful of names of places which are must vi
- Mount Abu Tourism
- Rander Tourism
- Udaipur Tourism
- Surat Tourism
- Gandevi Tourism
- Falna Gaon Tourism
- Indore Tourism
- Chittorgarh Tourism
- Daman Tourism
- Mandu Tourism
- Saputara Tourism
- Mandav Tourism
- Agra Tourism
- Leh Tourism
- Mumbai Tourism
- Delhi Tourism
- Amritsar Tourism
- Chennai Tourism
- Jaipur Tourism
- Panaji Tourism
- Varanasi Tourism
Facts and Stats for Ahmedabad*
Pollution Statistics in Ahmedabad
Know the pollution level of Ahmedabad before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 66.96 (High)
Water Pollution 66.88 (High)
Noise and Light Pollution 65.38 (High)
Unattended dirt and garbage 62.5 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 45.99 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 65.43 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 61.01 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 56 (Moderate)
Ahmedabad: Crime and Safety
How safe is Ahmedabad for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Ahmedabad.
Burglary and Theft 44.36 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 38.59 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 36.41 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 68.18 (High)
Car Stealing 38.22 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 42.72 (Moderate)
Attacks 36.41 (Low)
Drug offense 30.94 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 75.93 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 65 (High)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 37.38 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 31.31 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 42.48 (Moderate)
Living in Ahmedabad - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Ahmedabad is 122.04 (High)
Safety Index 60.27 (High)
Climate Index 49.27 (Moderate)
Pollution Index 73.51 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 42.31 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 24.06 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 68.84 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 8.07 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 71.46 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Ahmedabad
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Ahmedabad
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.01 USD
International Movie per seat 2.95 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 27.95 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 46.55 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 26.76 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.