Are you looking for what to do in Aix-en-provence?
PLACES TO SEE
- Montagne Sainte Victoire: A landmark and symbol of Aix-en-Provence, this mountain is known for its heritage buildings like Sainte Victoire monument dating back to the 17th century. The mountain reaches an altitude of 1011 metres and the offers excellent view from the top.
- Granet Museum: This speciality museum is named after the local painter François Marius Granet who is also one of the major contributors to the collection displayed here.
- Paroisse Cathédrale Saint Sauveur Aix-en-Provence/ Aix Cathedral: One of the most important religious structures in Aix-en-Provence, the Cathedral St. Sauveur dates back to 4th century.
- Site Memorial du Camp des Milles (Les Milles): This historical monument is one of the nine important venues of French collective memory and is only large French internment and deportation camp which is open to public.
- Foundation Vasarely: Located on a pretty verdant hillock, this museum was designed by Vasarely with the joint efforts of architects Jean Sonnier, Dominique Ronsseray and Claude Pradel-Lebar. Spread over 16,400 square feet areas, it is subdivided into 16 modules and has an excellent view of the countryside including Cezanne's beloved Mont Sainte Victoire.
- Atelier Cezanne: Atelier Cezanne is located on the hills above Aix-en-Provence and is dedicated to the life and work of the famous Provencal painter better known as Atelier Cezanne.
- Pavillon de Vendome: One of the most magnetic ornamental structures in Aix-en-Provence, Pavillion de Vendome was built on the orders of the Duke of Vendome- Louis Mercoeur to house his love affair with Lucretia de Forbin Sollies.
- Fountains: La Fontaine moussue, La Fontaine du Roi Rene, La Fontaine de la Rotonde, Fontaine Pascal, Fontaine de l'Hôtel de Ville, La Fontaine des Quatre Dauphins, Fountain rue des Bagniers, The Fountain Villeverte (Green Village), The Fountain of the Place des Precheurs, The Fountain of the Place des Augustins, The Fountain d'Argent (the Fountain of Silver), The Fountain of Fontetes, The Fountain des Neufs Canons (Fountain of the Nine Cannons), The Fountain of the Two Cannons, Fountain of la Place Bellegarde, The Fountain of la Place des Tanneurs, The Saint Louis Fountain, The Fountain des Trois Ormeaux (Fountain of the Three Elm Trees), The Espeluque Fountain.
THINGS TO DO
- Visit the Vieil Aix (old town) Go for a stroll on the Cours Mirabeau. There are plenty of stores, restaurants, cafes and attractions located within the street like Mossy fountain (La Fontaine moussue) and Hotel de Gallifet.
- Hike and have a picnic at the Terrain des Peintres (Painters Park).
- Catch a show at the Theatre de la Fontaine d'Argent.
- Spend an evening at the Place De I’Hotel De ville.
Below we have a list of things to do in Aix-en-provence and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Aix-en-provence getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Aix-en-provence with confidence.