Art Noveau CentreCurrently Closed
- Address: Apotekergata 16, 6004 Alesund, Norway
- Timings: 11:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +47-70104970
- Ticket Price: 75 NOK
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Gallery, Exhibition
Built in 1905–1907, the building is famous for its Art Noveau interior. Thus, it’s only fitting that the Art Noveau was opened here in 2003 by Queen Sonja of Norway.
Art Noveau, a holistic style of art that follows naturally forming lines and curves is wonderfully expressed here through permanent and temporary exhibitions. While you’ll have to check the attraction website for details of the temporary exhibitions, the highlights of the permanent exhibitions are:
- The Dining Room: the table is always set for a dinner party here. Every item in this room was made for use in this room alone. It’s a stunning room.
- The Time Machine: 20 screens, animations and a bunch of photos take the viewer through the story of Alesunds’ 1904 fire, and the hourney of the reconstruction.
- The Basement: Works of various craftsmen is presented here such as stonemasons, smiths, tinsmiths, painters, plaster sculptors, carpenters, glassmakers and masons
- First Floor: Norwegian Art Noveau in advertisements, jewellery, furniture, glassware and textiles.
The KUBE art museum nearby is also a part of this centre. Housed in the old Norges Bank building, the museum promotes interest in visual arts, crafts, design and architecture. Ticket price entry into the museum is included in the ticket for Art Noveau Centre (Jugendstilsenteret).
- Adults NOK 75
- Children (12-16 years) NOK 40
- Children under 12 years Free
- Students NOK 40
- Seniors NOK 60
- Groups (min. 10 pers.) NOK 60
- Families NOK 150 (parents with children 12-16 years)
- Tickets purchased here are valid for The Art Museum KUBE
- Cafe at the Centre
- Dirty Nelly Ålesund
- Restauranthuset Bocca
- C & C Restaurant
- Maki Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Alesund before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Alesund and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Alesund include Art Noveau Centre in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
61.11% of people start their Art Noveau Centre visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Art Noveau Centre
69.64% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Art Noveau Centre
This was a really intersecting place. Needs to have better signage. We almost missed a good half of the art gallery. It was only our curiosity that took us Dow. The stairs and down a poorly lite passage. The gallery is fantastic and should not be missed
Great museum. I happen to go on a day when it was free but I would have gladly paid. For English speakers, the museum is pretty accessible. A few things aren’t translated but it is pretty good!
I had to enter twice because I could not believe it was a museum. My guide book said it looked like an old style pharmacy. It really does. You enter via a tiny gate in the counter. The building itself forms part of the museum itself showcasing its Art Nouveau style. Beautifully restored, each room showcases furniture, glassware, and other items. I thought the mulitmedia presentation dragged a little, which is why I rate this four. Well worth a visit.
Lovely museum but very strange exhibition. Feminism. Weired what goes on in some minds. Art?
Not very big, but has some really nice items on display, you can learn about the history of Ålesund and both the museum shop and the cafe are really nice!