Bibliotheca Alexandrina, AlexandriaCurrently Open
- Address: Street Al-Corniche, Shatby, Alexandria, Egypt
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +20-34839999
- Ticket Price: 70 EGP
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Library, Museum, Landmark, Family And Kids, Architecture , Heritage Building
About Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Alexandria
Housed in one of the best looking cylindrical building in the world, the Bibliotheca Alexandrina is truly a sight for sore eyes. It’s not all beauty without brains; the library has a huge collection of books and manuscripts and hosts incredible exhibitions that showcase Egyptian culture and heritage. You will fall in love with the view that the building enjoys, just for that have a coffee at the cafeteria.
Take plenty of time out to devour everything that this amazing place has to offer; whether it’s the beauty and intricacy of the carvings on the wall or the informative museums.
Bibliotheca Alexandrina Information
- Visitors are not allowed to bring food, eat, sleep, or smoke in the Library.
- All public areas are wheelchair-accessible. The Reading Area is equipped with elevators and ramps in each level in order to facilitate movement for the disabled. Wheel chairs are available at the Visits Reception Desk.
Bibliotheca Alexandrina Ticket Prices
- Students and Retirees EG£5, School Pupils EG£5.
- Antiquities Tickets EG£20 and Students EG£10, Manuscripts EG£20 and Students EG£ 10.
- Collective tickets allow entrance to the Library, exhibitions and museums (antiquities and manuscripts). Admission to the Taha Hussein Library for the visually impaired is free.
- An exclusive ticket for Planetarium shows, the Science Museum and ALEXploratorium may be purchased at the entrance of the Planetarium.
- Entry for children under the age of 16 years is prohibited.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Alexandria before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Alexandria and book an accommodation of your choice.
Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Alexandria Reviews
Its a beautiful library. There’s no doubt about that, but i find it very discouraging that they would charge anyone, Egyptian or foreigner, a price for admission. I think that’s missing the point of a library. In a country where 15%-20% of the population is illiterate the government could make more effort to promote reading and learning. In my opinion, it should be free for people who want to educate themselves and its shocking to me that its not. Paying 70£E was a negative for me on what is otherwise a beautiful building.
The Bibliotheca Alexandrina is a major library and cultural center located on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea in the Egyptian city of Alexandria. It is both a commemoration of the Library of Alexandria that was lost in antiquity, and an attempt to rekindle something of the brilliance that this earlier center of study and erudition represented.The idea of reviving the old library dates back to 1974, when a committee set up by Alexandria University selected a plot of land for its new library, between the campus and the seafront, close to where the ancient library once stood. The notion of recreating the ancient library was adopted by other individuals and agencies.
انا بصراحة كنت في المدرسة عادي بس جات فرصة الي رحلة الي هذه المكتبة الاسندرية انني مكنتش اتوقع انها بهذا الشكل الراءع الجميل الواسع المتاهة انا كان ممكن ياغم علية من كثر الوسع والقبة السماوية الله الله الله الله بصراحة انا انبهرت وكان هذه الرحلة ممتعة جدا وشكرا والسلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته. My best wishes Yours seif mohmed
Beautiful, functional, and meaningful architecture. Well designed inside for readers, scholars and visitors to the various museums and the library itself. The staff is very kind, and the tour guide's explainations were very interesting and thoughtful. It is very enjoyable for avid readers to visit such considerable piece in both, architecture, and knowledge.
Students in Alexandria are very lucky to have this kind of place for study purpose! Such a lovely and QUIET place which quite strange in Egypt..Haha. But i'm serious, not kidding here.
All Questionsbibliotheca alexandrina
- Tourist Attractions Around the World
- Grand Place
- Musical Instrument Museum
- Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula
- Royal Museum Of The Armed Forces And Military History
- Museum Of Natural Sciences
- Notre Dame Du Sablon
- Galeries Royales Saint-hubert
- Bois De La Cambre And Foret De Soignes
- Jardin Du Petit Sablon