Fort QaitbeyCurrently Closed
- Address: Alexandria, Egypt
- Timings: 09:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 15 EGP
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: View Point, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Fort
Fort Qaitbey - Review
Have a sneak-peek into Egyptian history and architecture beyond the mighty pyramids when you visit the Citadel of Qaitbay. It is a 215th century defensive fortress that is built on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea in Alexandria. It was built on the location of the Lighthouse of Alexandria, that was considered to be one of the seven wonders of the Ancient World, which was destroyed by an earthquake in the 14th century. In 1952, the Citadel was converted into a Maritime Museum. It is open for visitors daily until 4 p.m. Don’t miss visiting the adjoining aquarium that has exhibits of fossilized marine animals and fish.
Fort Qaitbey Information
- The tour guides around the fort can be quite a menace in their persistence to get you to hire them. If you prefer a guide, look for one with credentials and language skills.
Fort Qaitbey Opening and Closing Hours
Open Everyday: 09:00 am - 04:00 pm
Preferred Everyday: 01:00 pm - 03:00 pm
How To reach Fort Qaitbey by Public Transport
- From Midan Ramla, it’s a 30 to 45 minute walk along the Corniche. Otherwise, take yellow tram 15 from Midan Ramla or flag down any of the microbuses barrelling along the Corniche. A taxi should cost E£5.
Restaurants Near Fort Qaitbey
- Sudoku Cafe
- Cook Door
- Talaat Pastry
- Bon Apetite
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Alexandria before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Alexandria and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Fort Qaitbey
95% of people who visit Alexandria include Fort Qaitbey in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
48.76% of people start their Fort Qaitbey visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Fort Qaitbey
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort Qaitbey
Fort Qaitbey Map
Fort Qaitbey Trips
Fort Qaitbey, Alexandria Reviews
Got to see The Mediterranean Sea for the first time. Seems like hues of water are different in the sea. Water seems crystal clear and very breezy beside the rocks. Citadel is also a site to see. Very nice background for photography. Even magnets are available at a very cheap price here , a mere amount of Five Egyptian pounds. Takes around 2 hours from Cairo. But weather was comfortable.
Its a wonderful place near to the Red sea. It has got an amazing view. The inside of the Citadel is also beautiful, you can play a lot with the light inside the Citadel.
Great place for visiting it with children - a lot of free space and in the citadel itself a lot of mysric places. It's better not to go in very hot days. Together with aquarium and museum which are very close to citadel and such attractions like riding bicycles or horse, small souvenir's shopping, taking a boat to the sea will make a day full of unforgettable impressions
You cannot depart Alexandria without visiting this place. The citadel architecture is so amazing. And the Sea View is just wow.
This place is awesome for the tourists. Very cool sea site and ancient fort is really watchable. I strongly recommend. Thanks.
All QuestionsFort qaitbey
- Eleele Baptist Church
- Episcopal Church On West Kauai
- Kauai Sea Tours
- Holo Holo Charters
- Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures
- Port Allen Small Boat Harbor
- King's Cathedral & Chapels
- Bubbles Below Scuba Charters
- Kauai Charter Sportfishing
- Glass Beach
- Queensbath Princeville Kauai
- Kauai Charter Sport Fishing
- Actors - Ames Community Theater
- Wakefield Woods
- The Space For Ames