Are you looking for what to do in Alexandria?
PLACES TO SEE
- The citadel of Qaitbay is an iconic fortress that proudly overlooks the city and the sea. It is exactly located at the place of once-a-wonder-of-the-world, famous lighthouse of Alexandria. It is now a beautiful monument and a Maritime museum.
- Kom el-Shouqafa or the potsherds was a private tomb for a wealthy family in the oldest part of Alexandria. The plan and decoration of this monument is an architectural marvel and depicts the mixture of Egyptian, Greek and Roman culture.
- Cemetery of Mostafa Kamel: This is the cemetery including four beautifully decorated and still maintained tombs from 2nd century BC and holds the name of Egypt’s well-known politician from the 12th century.
- Pompey's Pillar, Karmouz: This is a ancient monument constructed in the honor of Emperor Diocletian in AD 297. It is a 25 meter high granite column and other ruins and sculptures are also found around the area. There is also a very big shopping center for clothing and furniture.
- Roman theatre: The world famous roman amphitheatre was built in 2nd centurey AD ad has 13 semicircular tiers that provide a sitting for almost 800 people. A must-visit site in Alexandria.
- The Montazah palace which comprises of a casino, a luxury hotel and a park open to the public.
- There are a number of museums worth visiting in Alexandria namely: The Alexandria National Museum, The Graeco-Roam Museum, the Museum of fine arts, Royal Jewellery Museum and National Institute for Oceanography and Fisheries.
- The religious sites El-mursi Abul-Abbas Mosque and The Attarine Mosque are a alluring centers for Islamic beliefs. The construction is aesthetic and a pleasure to the eyes.
- The modern Alexandria landmarks: Bibliotheca Alexandrina and Corniche are the places you would never want to miss out.
THINGS TO DO
- The Montazah beach is perfect for sunbathing but beware of the crowd in peak tourist seasons. There are also a number of water sporting companies that extend services for waterskiing, wake boarding and banana or donut boating. Splashing into the Mediterranean waters is always fun!
- You can hop onto a hired cruise at Ras el-tin.
- The 15km long walk of Corniche by the Mediterranean Sea is a perfect way to have the most amazing experience of splashing waves while you can munch from the eateries and restaurants lined at your service.
- You can feed your intellectual mind by visit to a number of bookshops and enjoy the art of cinema in the number of cinema theatres well spread round the city. You can shop your heart out at the number of shopping malls round the city. There are also a number of dnace classes to train you in Ballet, Flamenco and Egyptian forloric dance in Alexandria. This city is culturally super active and you definitely will love spending time here.
- You can go for a Casino game at El-Salamlek palace which is exclusively for foreigners.
- Do not miss out on treating yourself with the amazing and authentic Mediterranean cuisine.
Below we have a list of things to do in Alexandria and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Alexandria getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Alexandria with confidence.