Cattedrale Di Santa Maria
- Address: Piazza Duomo, Alghero, Sardinia, Italy
- Phone: +39-079979222
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Family And Kids, Tower
Also known as Alghero cathedral, it is considered as a Roman Catholic Church and used to be the seat of the bishop of Alghero during 1503 to 1986. Though the cathedral was already considered as a home for the bishop but its construction began from 1530. Later, it was opened in 1593 and finally in 1730, its construction came to an end. The church initially used to have Catalan-Gothic architectural style. You can make out from the octagonal base of the bell tower. However, Renaissance style was implemented in the construction on the nave and the two aisles.
With this, Neo-Classical narthex was added in the façade to give an impressive change in its appearance.
Things To Do: Climb up the bell tower that is just beside the cathedral to get the view of the city.
- Dress modestly.
- Maintain tranquility within the church.
- Ask the locals about the entrance fee to climb up the bell tower.
- Ask the locals of the mass timings and the schedule to visit the bell tower.
- By city buses and get off at Alghero Via Sassari Lato Civico 23 Mercato Civivo.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Alghero before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Alghero and book an accommodation of your choice.
94.01% of people who visit Alghero include Cattedrale Di Santa Maria in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
40.45% of people start their Cattedrale Di Santa Maria visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Cattedrale Di Santa Maria
92.37% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cattedrale Di Santa Maria