Situated on top of the Benacantil Hill in Alicante, Santa Barbara Castle aka Castillo de Santa Barbara is the largest medieval fortress in Europe. Trivia- the Arabs who settled and ruled Spain for 5 centuries are the builders of this Castle. It was constructed some time during the 9th Century. It was first opened to the public in the year 1963. From the top, one gets magnificent views of the city of Alicante. Guided tours of the castle are conducted for a small fee. On the tours, you will find out fascinating facts about the castle. The approaches to the castle are mainly 3- one can either hike up, or there are two elevators that take you to the top or one can drive up to the top. You can also find a small museum within the castle premises showcasing the history of the Castillo de Santa Barbara.
Entrance Ticket Details For Santa Barbara Castle
- Adults (16-64)- €3, Children (6-16)- €1.50
- Entry is free for children under six years.
- Seniors (65+)- €1.50
- A deposit of €20 or ID or Passport and €2 for the tour.
- Museum- €4
- Minimal charges may apply for the use of elevators.
Santa Barbara Castle Hours
- Guided tours are usually conducted at 11:00 am and 12:30 pm.
- Elevator Timings: 10:00 am to 7:30 pm.
How to Reach Santa Barbara Castle
- Elevator in front of the Postiguet beach.
- Bus stop near Santa Barbara Castle
- A Cafe atop the mountain, in the castle premises.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Alicante before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Alicante and book an accommodation of your choice.
79.56% of people who visit Alicante include Santa Barbara Castle in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
91.1% of people start their Santa Barbara Castle visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Santa Barbara Castle
52.57% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Santa Barbara Castle