Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve298 Votes Currently Open
- Address: South Stuart Highway, P.O. Box 2130, Alice Springs, Northern Territory 0870, Australia
- Timings: 08:00 am - 09:00 pm Details
- Phone: +61-0889518211
- Ticket Price: 8 AUD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: View Point, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Town, Picnic Spot
Did you know- Alice Springs is equidistant from Adelaide and Darwin. That made it the perfect spot to erect a Telegraph station to relay messages between the two cities. The Telegraph Station marks the settlement of the European folks in Alice Springs. Functional for 60 years since its inception in 1872, the stone buildings were later used as a school for Aboriginal children of mixed heritage.
The authorities behind the Historical Reserve have taken painstaking efforts to preserve these 12 buildings; they are the best preserved buildings along the Overland Telegraph Line. With the backdrop of the MacDonnell Range, the Reserve is a well loved place for picnics, barbeques and the occasional wandering wildlife. You can take a short detour and trot down to the semi-permanent spring that gave the town its name - Alice Springs. Have a picnic lunch on the grounds, take a tour of the buildings, post a letter with their special franking stamp and see the spring that got the town its name!
Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve Travel Tips
- While entrance to the Reserve is free, the precinct (buildings) requires a fee and a tour.
- The best way to optimize your visit here would be to bring a packed lunch or an evening snack to enjoy on the grounds before you set out back into the city.
Entrance Ticket Details For Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
- Free Historical Precinct, Adults- AU$8 Children (4-15yrs)- AU$5.
Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve Hours
- Historical Precinct open 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Closed on Christmas. The grounds are open till 9:00 pm and the museum, 5:00 pm.
How to Reach Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
- Aldidja Street
- Madigan Street
- Sammy's Pizza
- Watertank Cafe
- Page 27 Cafe (breakfast/brunch recommended)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Alice Springs before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Alice Springs and book an accommodation of your choice.
56.76% of people who visit Alice Springs include Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve in their plan
55.56% of people start their Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve visit around 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve