Allahabad Fort, AllahabadCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Allahabad Fort, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Timings: 07:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Architecture , Fort
About Allahabad Fort, Allahabad
Located on the banks of the River Yamuna, near its confluence with the River Ganga, stands the majestic citadel, unraveled in its beauty and construction. Its nearness to the Triveni Sangam makes easily accessible to anyone who visits the Sangam. It was originally built by one of the greatest king of India, emperor Ashoka, but was repaired by the Mughal monarch Akbar in 1583. It is considered as the largest fort built by Akbar and there was no structure in India to match with the fort in its design, craftsmanship and construction during those times. The huge wall surrounding the fort appears to rise up from the water on the edge of the river and is very striking. It is still in good condition and its beauty is best viewed from a boat on the river.
Three beautifully designed and massive gateways lead you inside. A major portion of the fort is occupied by the Indian Army, where no public is allowed to enter. The fort is now commonly known as Ordnance Depot Fort. There is lush greenery surrounding the fort and the entrance of the fort is slanting, which allows the occupants of the fort to roll barrels and prevent the entry of the enemy inside the fort.
Some of the attractive features of the fort are:
- A gigantic Ashoka pillar believed to have been built in 232 B.C., which stands to a height of 35 feet. It has various inscriptions on it describing the victories of Samudra Gupta, the royal edicts of Ashoka, and the coronation of Jahangir, as well as the names of many visitors including that of Birbal.
- Jodhabai’s Palace is a marvelous place that you will love to visit. It is a mix of Islamic and Hindu style of architecture.
- Saraswati Kund, believed to be the origin of the mythical river Saraswati. Visitors are not allowed in this place.
- Patalpuri, an underground temple accessible through a small door on the eastern side of the fort.
- Akshaya Vat is the immortal tree found in the Patalpuri temple. It has been mentioned in many ancient scriptures.
Allahabad Fort Information
- Be careful about keeping your valuables safely.
- Do not make a lot of noise inside the fort.
- Do not go through the tunnels in the fort alone.
- Only a part of the fort is open for the public and the major part of the place is occupied by the Indian Army.
- You may reach the fort by an auto rickshaw or a cab from the bus stand, which is 7 kms from the fort.
Allahabad Fort Ticket Prices
- Entry by donation only.
Allahabad Fort Opening and Closing Hours
- Open on all days of the week.
Restaurants Near Allahabad Fort
- No restaurants within 1 km radius from the fort.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Allahabad Fort
95% of people who visit Allahabad include Allahabad Fort in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
70.54% of people start their Allahabad Fort visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Allahabad Fort
93.81% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Allahabad Fort