Allahabad Museum215 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Kasturba Gandhi Marg, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Timings: 10:30 am - 04:45 pm Details
- Phone: +91-5322407409
- Ticket Price: 5 INR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, Museums, History Museums, Educational Site
The museum is located in the spectacular Chandrashekhar Azad Park and is one of the largest and best museums in India. The well kept and beautiful gardens and lawns enhance the charm of the place. It started with a small collection of models of birds and animals in 1931 under the Allahabad Municipality, but the number increased at such fast pace that a need for separate arrangement to keep all the collections arose. Soon the foundation stone for the museum was laid down by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru in 1947 and the construction of the museum was completed in 1952. The galleries were also declared open on the same year.
If you are interested in learning the heritage of India, this is the perfect place for you. It has one of the largest collections of sculptures, terra cotta artifacts and other items. The number of galleries here is 18 and each gallery is rich with a wide collection of archaeological findings of the pre-historic era, stone sculptures, bronze seals, precious and semi precious stones, coins belonging to Gupta and Kushan dynasties, paintings, documents in Sanskrit and so on.
Some of the special attractions in the galleries are:
- A gallery with photographs showing the life and achievements of Mahatma Gandhi. It also contains coins, postal tickets etc. issued by different countries in honor of the Father of Nation.
- Gandhi Smriti Vahan, which carried the ashes of Mahatma Gandhi immersed in the Sangam on 12th February.
- Nehru Gallery, which supplies you with a lot of information on Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Gallery on India’s struggle for freedom.
- Pistol of Chandrashekhar Azad.
- A collection of pre-historic paintings of India.
- A carved sandalwood chariot with ivory sculptures of Krishna and Arjun.
- A collection of modern paintings by contemporary artists.
It takes almost 3 hours to fully explore the museum and it is sure to supply you with a lot of valuable information.
Allahabad Museum Travel Tips
- Do not carry any objectionable items with you.
- Guide service available for the tourists.
- A fully air conditioned library with more than 25,000 books is available for students and scholars.
- An auditorium with a seating capacity of 150 people.
- You get auto rickshaws and bicycles to go to the museum.
- Do not throw any waste within the premises of the museum.
- You can also Contact on +91-5322408690
Entrance Ticket Details For Allahabad Museum
- INR 2 for children below 12 years of age.
- INR 100 for foreigners.
- You have to pay a charge of INR 25 to carry your camera inside the museum.
- Entry is free for conferences and educational programs.
Allahabad Museum Hours
- Closed on Gazette holidays.
How to Reach Allahabad Museum
- No public transport is available. You get auto rickshaws and bicycles to go to the museum.
- Khana Khazana
- Veer Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
49.31% of people who visit Allahabad include Allahabad Museum in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
54.84% of people start their Allahabad Museum visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Allahabad Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Allahabad Museum
Allahabad Museum Reviews & Ratings
Is there any parking arrangement in museumAnswer Report Abuse
I want some pic for my thisis related Buddhism. From areachological section onAnswer Report Abuse
I suggest you call the Allahabad Museum on 0532-2407409 and ask them about the pictures.Report Abuse
Is museum open on Sunday?Answer Report Abuse
Yes, the museum remains open on Sundays. It remains shut on Mondays only.Report Abuse