Allahabad MuseumCurrently Closed
- Address: Kasturba Gandhi Marg, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Timings: 10:30 am - 04:45 pm Details
- Phone: +91-5322407409
- Ticket Price: 5 INR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museum, Museum, History Museum, Educational Site
Allahabad Museum - Review
The museum is located in the spectacular Chandrashekhar Azad Park and is one of the largest and best museums in India. The well kept and beautiful gardens and lawns enhance the charm of the place. It started with a small collection of models of birds and animals in 1931 under the Allahabad Municipality, but the number increased at such fast pace that a need for separate arrangement to keep all the collections arose. Soon the foundation stone for the museum was laid down by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru in 1947 and the construction of the museum was completed in 1952. The galleries were also declared open on the same year.
If you are interested in learning the heritage of India, this is the perfect place for you. It has one of the largest collections of sculptures, terra cotta artifacts and other items. The number of galleries here is 18 and each gallery is rich with a wide collection of archaeological findings of the pre-historic era, stone sculptures, bronze seals, precious and semi precious stones, coins belonging to Gupta and Kushan dynasties, paintings, documents in Sanskrit and so on.
Some of the special attractions in the galleries are:
- A gallery with photographs showing the life and achievements of Mahatma Gandhi. It also contains coins, postal tickets etc. issued by different countries in honor of the Father of Nation.
- Gandhi Smriti Vahan, which carried the ashes of Mahatma Gandhi immersed in the Sangam on 12th February.
- Nehru Gallery, which supplies you with a lot of information on Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Gallery on India’s struggle for freedom.
- Pistol of Chandrashekhar Azad.
- A collection of pre-historic paintings of India.
- A carved sandalwood chariot with ivory sculptures of Krishna and Arjun.
- A collection of modern paintings by contemporary artists.
It takes almost 3 hours to fully explore the museum and it is sure to supply you with a lot of valuable information.
Allahabad Museum Information
- Do not carry any objectionable items with you.
- Guide service available for the tourists.
- A fully air conditioned library with more than 25,000 books is available for students and scholars.
- An auditorium with a seating capacity of 150 people.
- You get auto rickshaws and bicycles to go to the museum.
- Do not throw any waste within the premises of the museum.
- You can also Contact on +91-5322408690
Allahabad Museum Ticket Prices
- INR 2 for children below 12 years of age.
- INR 100 for foreigners.
- You have to pay a charge of INR 25 to carry your camera inside the museum.
- Entry is free for conferences and educational programs.
Allahabad Museum Hours
- Closed on Gazette holidays.
How To reach Allahabad Museum by Public Transport
- No public transport is available. You get auto rickshaws and bicycles to go to the museum.
Restaurants Near Allahabad Museum
- Khana Khazana
- Veer Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Allahabad Museum
90.96% of people who visit Allahabad include Allahabad Museum in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
54.84% of people start their Allahabad Museum visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Allahabad Museum
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Allahabad Museum
Allahabad Museum Trips
Allahabad Museum, Allahabad Reviews
Very nice place for collection of old things. Here a park a big park name of chandrashekher azad park. A big library. Here you find very old and historical things. You can visit here. Some entry fees you pay when enter but you got full enjoyment. You can visit here with your whole family.
An iconic museum with a large number of antiquities preserved and displayed here. Some of the antiquities are only one of this kind in the world. One may find it interesting to see the revolver used by Chandrasekhar Azad, a freedom fighter of India and see the tree under which he fought with the British and ultimately martyred. The tree is inside a Park named Chandrasekhar Azad udyan just beside the museum.
The Allahabad Museum is a national-level museum in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. Established in 1931, it is known for its rich collection and unique objects of art, and is funded by Ministry of Culture. Moreover, it is a premier research centre for archaeologists, historians and academicians and carries out extensive research activities and publications in archaeology, art and literature. Its rock art gallery has the largest collection of prehistoric paintings displayed in India dating from 14,000 B.C to 2000 B.C. The museum, using solar power system, has become the first museum in the country to become self-reliant in power generation.
Museum was not maintained like other museum i have visited. Too boring to see stones. Some things were good like animal area, guns area but rest areas are too boring and tickets are over costly. Even it was very hot there as there was no air conditioner or fan. Freedom struggle area was also good.
A must visit place for the ones who are interested in art. The one thing that fascinated me in the Museum is the 30,000-15,000 b.c old excavated jaws of the Elephant kept at the Museum.other than this there are various other statues, pottery, swords, pistol used by Chandrasekar Azad etc., One can witness how the Museum provides access to to the younger generation evolve their talents there. Children and youngsters are seen painting their articles, another group practising music, etc. The entry fee is about Rs.50 per head