Allahabad Museum, Allahabad
About Allahabad Museum, Allahabad
Allahabad Museum, Allahabad - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Kasturba Gandhi Marg, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
Ticket Price: 5 INR
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:30 am - 04:45 pm Details
Added 1.7K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Art Museum, Museum, History Museum, Educational Site
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The museum is located in the spectacular Chandrashekhar Azad Park and is one of the largest and best museums in India. The well kept and beautiful gardens and lawns enhance the charm of the place. It started with a small collection of models of birds and animals in 1931 under the Allahabad Municipality, but the number increased at such fast pace that a need for separate arrangement to keep all the collections arose. Soon the foundation stone for the museum was laid down by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru in 1947 and the construction of the museum was completed in 1952. The galleries were also declared open on the same year.
If you are interested in learning the heritage of India, this is the perfect place for you. It has one of the largest collections of sculptures, terra cotta artifacts and other items. The number of galleries here is 18 and each gallery is rich with a wide collection of archaeological findings of the pre-historic era, stone sculptures, bronze seals, precious and semi precious stones, coins belonging to Gupta and Kushan dynasties, paintings, documents in Sanskrit and so on.
Some of the special attractions in the galleries are:
- A gallery with photographs showing the life and achievements of Mahatma Gandhi. It also contains coins, postal tickets etc. issued by different countries in honor of the Father of Nation.
- Gandhi Smriti Vahan, which carried the ashes of Mahatma Gandhi immersed in the Sangam on 12th February.
- Nehru Gallery, which supplies you with a lot of information on Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Gallery on India’s struggle for freedom.
- Pistol of Chandrashekhar Azad.
- A collection of pre-historic paintings of India.
- A carved sandalwood chariot with ivory sculptures of Krishna and Arjun.
- A collection of modern paintings by contemporary artists.
It takes almost 3 hours to fully explore the museum and it is sure to supply you with a lot of valuable information.
Allahabad Museum Information
- Do not carry any objectionable items with you.
- Guide service available for the tourists.
- A fully air conditioned library with more than 25,000 books is available for students and scholars.
- An auditorium with a seating capacity of 150 people.
- You get auto rickshaws and bicycles to go to the museum.
- Do not throw any waste within the premises of the museum.
- You can also Contact on +91-5322408690
Allahabad Museum Ticket Prices
- INR 2 for children below 12 years of age.
- INR 100 for foreigners.
- You have to pay a charge of INR 25 to carry your camera inside the museum.
- Entry is free for conferences and educational programs.
Allahabad Museum Opening and Closing Hours
- Closed on Gazette holidays.
How To reach Allahabad Museum by Public Transport
- No public transport is available. You get auto rickshaws and bicycles to go to the museum.
Restaurants Near Allahabad Museum
- Khana Khazana
- Veer Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Allahabad Museum, Allahabad Reviews - Write a Review
Unfortunately I need to change my review from a 5 to a 1. The price has increased to a ridiculous 500 rupees for us foreigners! Meanwhile Indians are 40 rupees. That is a terrible price increase that no one should pay for this little, poorly lit museum! Museums in Delhi even are not this expensive, and they have more than just a few rooms. For foreigners: save your money and go to any other museum in India, as this one is trying to cheat foreigners. I hope they reduce this, seeing that no foreigners go anymore, because that price is just insane and wrong. Cheating guests. The following is my original post before the bad price increase. Now valid for Indians only: Very nice little museum. Very much fixed up and renovated since i first went in 2008...they have done a nice job with it! 👍
Very beautiful place Especially the Ford Card in which Our National Father Mahatma Gandhi Ji was taken on his death ceremony! The historical artifacts and fossils are very notable at this museum Especially its location@Alfred Park that is Amar_Shahheed_Chandrasekhar Azad Park
Good place having many sclupture painting of ancient India also provide much information on Indian freedom strugle
You'll find centuries-old history of India and beautiful art.
Decent collection. Over priced and ill managed