Anand BhawanCurrently Closed
- Address: Anand Bhawan Sabjimandi Road, Govindpur, Teliarganj, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh 211004, India
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-5322467071
- Ticket Price: 10 INR
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Historical Site, Architecture
Anand Bhawan - Review
Located strategically in the middle of the city, Anand Bhawan has a lot of stories about the struggle for independence to tell you. It was here that the former Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi spent her childhood days, spending a lot of time with Jawaharlal Nehru and the national leaders of India. The meaning of Anand Bhawan is ‘The Abode of Happiness’ and when a second house was built adjacent to it, the new building was given the name Anand Bhawan and the original one was renamed Swaraj Bhawan. Indira Gandhi donated it to India in 1970 and it was later converted into a museum.
The two storey building is a palatial structure with high ceilings, spacious rooms and verandahs with a large number of pillars, presenting a wonderful sight to the spectators. It is well maintained and kept in good condition. You will love the furniture in the rooms, which are beautifully designed, reflecting their antiquity and value.
Before you reach the house, you are welcomed by a small board stating the significance of the place and why it is important for the Indian people. Walking inside the majestic two storey house, you are immediately taken back to the pre-independent era and you will see:
- Jawaharlal Nehru’s own bedroom and study;
- Indira Gandhi’s living quarters with some of her personal belongings;
- A room dedicated to the use of Mahatma Gandhi himself and
- A drawing room containing things that belonged to Motilal Nehru and Jawaharlal Nehru.
These precious sanctuaries can only be viewed through glass, as you are not allowed entry in to the rooms. But that is enough to tell you how simple a life these leaders lived. You will also see a lot of paintings and pictures of the Nehru family.
Anand Bhawan Information
- A light and sound show is conducted here four times daily.
- You are not allowed to walk on the well maintained lawns.
- Young children are given art and craft classes within the premises.
- Keep silence inside the museum and do not touch or meddle with the artifacts in the museum.
- During the vacation times the place is very crowded. So try to visit the place on other times.
- Summer months from March to June are too hot.
- Do not miss the planetarium.
- You get auto rickshwas and taxis outside the gate.
- You can also Contact on +91-5322567093.
Anand Bhawan Ticket Prices
- Fees of INR 100 for Non-Indians
- Children below 5 years do not need any entry ticket.
- Groups of students from schools and colleges get concessions.
How To reach Anand Bhawan by Public Transport
- Bus stop is not available within 1 km.
Restaurants Near Anand Bhawan
- Sagar Ratna
- Cool Breakfast Food Restaurant
- Chaht Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Anand Bhawan
95% of people who visit Allahabad include Anand Bhawan in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
77.5% of people start their Anand Bhawan visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Anand Bhawan
90.63% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Anand Bhawan
Anand Bhawan Trips
Anand Bhawan, Allahabad Reviews
Nicely decorated and furnished in a time the building was built with mixed architecture, when houses were built as per Indian style. Very beautiful and well maintained by administration and very nicely arrangements of different sections in the house. Furnitures are very beautifully designed and looking elegant even today.
one of the historical places in Allahabad. You could see their rooms, bookshelves, their plates, Nehru's iron, his shoes,letters written that time, luxurious life of him and also his contributions in the freedom movement of India. Near to it is planetorium which is quite fascinating you could learn about stars. It is well maintained. It is one of the tourist attention place, and it also contributes to UP tourism
It is timestamp of Indian history. The house is in pristine condition, it is well maintained and one could travel back in time to experience it's earlier feel. All the rooms are decorated in the same style as it was fifty years ago. So much with respect to our independence movement has happened here. It is definitely worth visiting if you are in Allahabad. Though the ticket price is a little costly.
This is a beautiful two-storey building, which is the ancestral home of the Nehru family. Here, Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru had planned to end the British rule. It is also a witness to many historical developments. Inside the building, books related to the Nehru family, personal relics and photographs are largely preserved, which is now a part of Indian history and heritage.
It is one of the historical places in Allahabad. You could see their rooms, bookshelves, their plates, Nehru's iron, his shoes,letters written that time, luxurious life of him and also his contributions in the freedom movement of India. Near to it is planetorium which is quite fascinating, you could learn about stars. It is well maintained. It is one of the tourist attention place, and it also contributes to UP tourism