Anand BhawanCurrently Closed
- Address: Anand Bhawan Sabjimandi Road, Govindpur, Teliarganj, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh 211004, India
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-5322467071
- Ticket Price: 10 INR
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Historical Site, Architecture
Located strategically in the middle of the city, Anand Bhawan has a lot of stories about the struggle for independence to tell you. It was here that the former Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi spent her childhood days, spending a lot of time with Jawaharlal Nehru and the national leaders of India. The meaning of Anand Bhawan is ‘The Abode of Happiness’ and when a second house was built adjacent to it, the new building was given the name Anand Bhawan and the original one was renamed Swaraj Bhawan. Indira Gandhi donated it to India in 1970 and it was later converted into a museum.
The two storey building is a palatial structure with high ceilings, spacious rooms and verandahs with a large number of pillars, presenting a wonderful sight to the spectators. It is well maintained and kept in good condition. You will love the furniture in the rooms, which are beautifully designed, reflecting their antiquity and value.
Before you reach the house, you are welcomed by a small board stating the significance of the place and why it is important for the Indian people. Walking inside the majestic two storey house, you are immediately taken back to the pre-independent era and you will see:
- Jawaharlal Nehru’s own bedroom and study;
- Indira Gandhi’s living quarters with some of her personal belongings;
- A room dedicated to the use of Mahatma Gandhi himself and
- A drawing room containing things that belonged to Motilal Nehru and Jawaharlal Nehru.
These precious sanctuaries can only be viewed through glass, as you are not allowed entry in to the rooms. But that is enough to tell you how simple a life these leaders lived. You will also see a lot of paintings and pictures of the Nehru family.
- A light and sound show is conducted here four times daily.
- You are not allowed to walk on the well maintained lawns.
- Young children are given art and craft classes within the premises.
- Keep silence inside the museum and do not touch or meddle with the artifacts in the museum.
- During the vacation times the place is very crowded. So try to visit the place on other times.
- Summer months from March to June are too hot.
- Do not miss the planetarium.
- You get auto rickshwas and taxis outside the gate.
- You can also Contact on +91-5322567093.
- Fees of INR 100 for Non-Indians
- Children below 5 years do not need any entry ticket.
- Groups of students from schools and colleges get concessions.
- Bus stop is not available within 1 km.
- Sagar Ratna
- Cool Breakfast Food Restaurant
- Chaht Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Allahabad include Anand Bhawan in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
77.5% of people start their Anand Bhawan visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Anand Bhawan
90.63% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Anand Bhawan
Mostly display of black & white pictures. Different rates for entry to visit ground floor & first floor. Maintained well. Many interesting display on Indira Gandhi's life
It is a very good place. It is clean. You can go witb you family member. Going there for student will be very educational and give them a good experience about there history. You will definitely like this place. Security is so high. Tickets are also not so expensive. Good place to visit
Nice place.. You can see the rooms of Nehru's house in two floors and things which he used, their family tree, many books, etc.. There is a good collection of his life history.. You can even take pictures of the house.. Very calm and peaceful place..
Beautifully maintained. All the places are nicely indicated. Taking a tour inside this museum without a guide is absolutely easy.
I loved this place,i visit here aprox 20 days ago. The maintenance was fantastic.so clear and peaceful. Lot of information and thins r there, i really feeling very proud