Anand Bhawan, Allahabad
About Anand Bhawan, Allahabad
Anand Bhawan, Allahabad - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Anand Bhawan Sabjimandi Road, Govindpur, Teliarganj, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh 211004
Ticket Price: 10 INR
Time Required: 00:45 Mins
Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 1.9K times in trip plans
Historical Site, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Located strategically in the middle of the city, Anand Bhawan has a lot of stories about the struggle for independence to tell you. It was here that the former Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi spent her childhood days, spending a lot of time with Jawaharlal Nehru and the national leaders of India. The meaning of Anand Bhawan is ‘The Abode of Happiness’ and when a second house was built adjacent to it, the new building was given the name Anand Bhawan and the original one was renamed Swaraj Bhawan. Indira Gandhi donated it to India in 1970 and it was later converted into a museum.
The two storey building is a palatial structure with high ceilings, spacious rooms and verandahs with a large number of pillars, presenting a wonderful sight to the spectators. It is well maintained and kept in good condition. You will love the furniture in the rooms, which are beautifully designed, reflecting their antiquity and value.
Before you reach the house, you are welcomed by a small board stating the significance of the place and why it is important for the Indian people. Walking inside the majestic two storey house, you are immediately taken back to the pre-independent era and you will see:
- Jawaharlal Nehru’s own bedroom and study;
- Indira Gandhi’s living quarters with some of her personal belongings;
- A room dedicated to the use of Mahatma Gandhi himself and
- A drawing room containing things that belonged to Motilal Nehru and Jawaharlal Nehru.
These precious sanctuaries can only be viewed through glass, as you are not allowed entry in to the rooms. But that is enough to tell you how simple a life these leaders lived. You will also see a lot of paintings and pictures of the Nehru family.
Anand Bhawan Information
- A light and sound show is conducted here four times daily.
- You are not allowed to walk on the well maintained lawns.
- Young children are given art and craft classes within the premises.
- Keep silence inside the museum and do not touch or meddle with the artifacts in the museum.
- During the vacation times the place is very crowded. So try to visit the place on other times.
- Summer months from March to June are too hot.
- Do not miss the planetarium.
- You get auto rickshwas and taxis outside the gate.
- You can also Contact on +91-5322567093.
Anand Bhawan Ticket Prices
- Fees of INR 100 for Non-Indians
- Children below 5 years do not need any entry ticket.
- Groups of students from schools and colleges get concessions.
How To reach Anand Bhawan by Public Transport
- Bus stop is not available within 1 km.
Restaurants Near Anand Bhawan
- Sagar Ratna
- Cool Breakfast Food Restaurant
- Chaht Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Anand Bhawan, Allahabad Reviews - Write a Review
Not to miss. Provides amazing insight into the progress of the Indian freedom struggle and modern Indian politics with the Nehru family evolution as background. Keeps you thinking long after you have left the museum. Quite well maintained too unlike the main city Museum. Unfortunately photography is prohibited.
Was a good historical place to visit , but they are charging RS 70/- per head as entry fees. That's not fair. Anyways it's very well maintained and gives a fair bit of idea about Nehru's lifestyle.
Very Good Place to know the history. Very well maintained. But the entrance fee to see the building from outside is not at all Good. Nehru dedicated / sacrificed his own property for the conuntry. Govt. officials making money out of it.
Birth place for Jawaharlal Nehru and Indra Gandhi. Cool place to visit. You can see used things by them.
Historic place. Well maintained from inside as well as outside. Many memories of our great leader