Khusro Bagh, Allahabad
About Khusro Bagh, Allahabad
Khusro Bagh, Allahabad - Address, Phone Number
Address: Leader Road, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 2.1K times in trip plans
Garden, Park, Walking Area, Historical Site, Architecture , Archaeological Site , Picnic Spot, Tomb
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This is one of the major attractions in the city, even though the crowd here is much less compared to other places in Allahabad. It is a beautiful garden with high walls surrounding it and has four tombs inside.
The garden was built as a pleasure garden for Prince Salim, who was the son of the Mughal Emperor Akbar and rebelled against his father. Well, he grew up to become Emperor Jahangir. History repeated itself and there arose a discord between Jahangir and his eldest son Khusrau. Despaired by the sad turn of events, Shah Begum, Khusrau’s mother, committed suicide and was buried in the park. She was a Rajput princess and the first tomb here was built in memory of Shah Begum in 1606.
The architecture of these mausoleums reflects a blend of Mughal and Rajput style and is wonderful to behold.
- The tomb of Shah Begum is a three tiered structure without a main mound, but with a large Chhatri. The Arabic inscription carved on the tomb was done by Mir Abdulla Mushkin Qalam, who was the famous calligrapher of Jahangir.
- Next to the tomb of Shah Begum is the tomb of Nuthar Begum, sister of Khusrau. This is the most beautiful of the three, making you awestruck with its elaborately decorated and adorned interiors. It is built on an elevated platform and the ceilings of the rooms are beautifully painted with stars in concentric circles. The walls of the central room are exquisitely decorated with floral designs showing flowers, plants and Cypresses. The tomb was built under the instructions of the princess but she was buried in another place.
- Last of the three tombs is that of Khusrau. It is also a masterpiece, although not as elaborate as that of Nuthar Begum. A fourth tomb, called the Mausoleum of Tombolan, is located at the centre of the garden.
The gateway of the park is large and very impressive with inscriptions in Persian. During the 1987 revolt, the garden was the hub of the sepoys under Maulavi Liyakat Ali. So it was also involved in the freedom struggle of India.
Khusro Bagh Information
- Visit the place in the morning or evening as it will be less hot.
- Do not throw any waste within the premises of the garden.
- Better visit the place in groups rather than alone.
- A good picnic spot for the tourists.
- Located close to Allahabad Junction Station and you may take an auto rickshaw or a cab to reach the garden.
Khusro Bagh Ticket Prices
- No tickets needed.
Khusro Bagh Opening and Closing Hours
- Open for the visitors on all days of the week.
How To reach Khusro Bagh by Public Transport
- There is a bus stand near the garden.
Restaurants Near Khusro Bagh
- Nirala Misthan Bhandar
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Khusro Bagh, Allahabad Reviews - Write a Review
Nice sight seeing place. It's a place better to go before sunset. So plan during daytime to visit this place.
Just a park for evening walks.The tombs building is good but no one is allowed inside,just click pictures of building from outside.No lighting facility for night.The tombs architecture has beautiful stone works in the doors.
A beautiful monument dates back to the time of khusru dynasty. It has 3 tombs located very near to the Allahabad junction railway station. It is at a walking distance from railway station and the visiting time is upto 6:00pm.
A great place for the all age groupe of people. It hase a big garden that can give you peace. A fresh and cool environment will take you in fresh mood. The structure of Tomb is from 17 century, will also make you happy.
I am belongs to village and love trees green grass walking and watching red sun rising is so awesome that why i like khusrobag