Khusro BaghCurrently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Leader Road, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-9620693859
- Ticket Price: Free
- Tags: Garden, Park, Walking Area, Historical Site, Architecture , Archaeological Site , Picnic Spot, Tomb
This is one of the major attractions in the city, even though the crowd here is much less compared to other places in Allahabad. It is a beautiful garden with high walls surrounding it and has four tombs inside.
The garden was built as a pleasure garden for Prince Salim, who was the son of the Mughal Emperor Akbar and rebelled against his father. Well, he grew up to become Emperor Jahangir. History repeated itself and there arose a discord between Jahangir and his eldest son Khusrau. Despaired by the sad turn of events, Shah Begum, Khusrau’s mother, committed suicide and was buried in the park. She was a Rajput princess and the first tomb here was built in memory of Shah Begum in 1606.
The architecture of these mausoleums reflects a blend of Mughal and Rajput style and is wonderful to behold.
- The tomb of Shah Begum is a three tiered structure without a main mound, but with a large Chhatri. The Arabic inscription carved on the tomb was done by Mir Abdulla Mushkin Qalam, who was the famous calligrapher of Jahangir.
- Next to the tomb of Shah Begum is the tomb of Nuthar Begum, sister of Khusrau. This is the most beautiful of the three, making you awestruck with its elaborately decorated and adorned interiors. It is built on an elevated platform and the ceilings of the rooms are beautifully painted with stars in concentric circles. The walls of the central room are exquisitely decorated with floral designs showing flowers, plants and Cypresses. The tomb was built under the instructions of the princess but she was buried in another place.
- Last of the three tombs is that of Khusrau. It is also a masterpiece, although not as elaborate as that of Nuthar Begum. A fourth tomb, called the Mausoleum of Tombolan, is located at the centre of the garden.
The gateway of the park is large and very impressive with inscriptions in Persian. During the 1987 revolt, the garden was the hub of the sepoys under Maulavi Liyakat Ali. So it was also involved in the freedom struggle of India.
- Visit the place in the morning or evening as it will be less hot.
- Do not throw any waste within the premises of the garden.
- Better visit the place in groups rather than alone.
- A good picnic spot for the tourists.
- Located close to Allahabad Junction Station and you may take an auto rickshaw or a cab to reach the garden.
- No tickets needed.
- Open for the visitors on all days of the week.
- There is a bus stand near the garden.
- Nirala Misthan Bhandar
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Allahabad include Khusro Bagh in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
45.45% of people start their Khusro Bagh visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Khusro Bagh
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Khusro Bagh
Good place for anyone near Allahabad Junction. Historical place under Archaeological survey of India. I want to pay thanks to ASI for better care of our historical and past memories and thanks for a better future.
A must visit if you're in Allahabad. The place is full of greenery and is a green hotspot in the crowded city. It also houses a Government owned gardening department where you can buy authentic and a very large variety of plants, herbs, shrubs, and fruit plant etc. Students living in the city go to this place for studying in its peaceful environment.
It is very nice and historical place..... 😍 It's a beautiful place to visit with family, friends to chill and party etc There is a 2-3 big monuments to see from outer side .... In night this place seems like horror😂😂😂😂 joking
Khushro bag is an ancient property which has really good views. It is a very good place or park for roaming and enjoying with friends. But there is fee taken before entry.
It is a normal garden with some tombs inside. Good place😀 but not a very out of the box. Similar structures may be found at other places too