Shankar Viman MandapamCurrently Open [Closes at 08:00 pm]
- Address: 133 E, Gangapuram, Bhrigu Marg, Chotta Bhagara, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Timings: 06:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-5322503495
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple
About Shankar Viman Mandapam, Allahabad
This is the only temple in the city built in South Indian style and located on the banks of the Triveni Sangam. It was built by Shri Kanchi Kamkoti Peeth and is a modern temple, four storey high and reflecting Dravidian style of architecture. It has a height of 131 feet and the temple stands on 16 strong pillars. The construction of the temple started in 1970 but it took 16 years to complete it. At the entrance are the statues of Shankaracharya and Mandan Mishra. On each floor of the temple you can see the shrines of different Gods and Goddesses and on the walls of the temple there are beautiful paintings depicting scenes from the epic Ramayana.
The temple is visited by a large number of devotees from all parts of the city and unlike the temples in the North you are not allowed to enter in the sanctum sanctorum. Regular pujas are held here and the devotees are offered the ‘Prasada ‘after the Puja.
As you enter the temple you see:
- The shrine of Kamakshi Devi in the sitting posture. On the outer wall of this shrine there are sculptures of Mookambika, PanchamukhaGayatri, Vindhyavasini, Durga, Ganga and Saraswati. It also shows beautiful paintings depicting the life of Adi Shankara.
- Vishnu in the form of Balaji is found on the second floor. In front of the shrine of Balaji is the shrine of Veni Madhavar. As you go around the shrine you see beautiful paintings depicting scenes from Ramayana and also a number of sculptures like that of Narasimha, Vamana and so on.
- On the third floor is the Rudraksha mandapam, containing the Yoga SahastraLinga, which is made of a single stone. It consists of a big Shivlingam on which you can see 1008 small lingas. Around the mandapam is the painting showing Shiva leela and sculptures showing other incarnations of Lord Shiva.
Shankar Viman Mandapam Information
- You get flowers and sweets from the nearby shops to offer to the deity inside the temple.
- Special pujas are also offered.
- The puja in the temple is performed by Pundits from South India.
- There are no public buses but you get cycle rickshaws and auto rickshaws to reach the temple.
- The best time to visit the temple is early in the morning or in the evening time.
- Remove your shoes outside the temple before you go inside.
- You can also contact on 91-942543195
Shankar Viman Mandapam Opening and Closing Hours
- Open on all days of the week.
How To reach Shankar Viman Mandapam by Public Transport
- Cycle rickshaws
- Auto rickshaws
Restaurants Near Shankar Viman Mandapam
- Jade Garden
- Jade Restaurant
- Aao Jee Dhaba
- Shankar Marwadi Bhojanalay
- Mai Ma Vaishno Bhojanalay
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Shankar Viman Mandapam
95% of people who visit Allahabad include Shankar Viman Mandapam in their plan
06 AM - 07 AM
49.11% of people start their Shankar Viman Mandapam visit around 06 AM - 07 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Shankar Viman Mandapam
83.44% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shankar Viman Mandapam
Shankar Viman Mandapam Map
Shankar Viman Mandapam Trips
Shankar Viman Mandapam, Allahabad Reviews
Good experience and spiritual Place
All QuestionsShankar viman mandapam
- William Lorenz
- Michael L Stehlik
- Schoenstahdt Sisters
- United Methodist Church
- First Presbyterian Church Of Colton
- Mc Neil Airport-Sc03
- Spring Grove Cemetery Prairie Nature Preserve
- Family Bible Fellowship
- Hatley Church
- Kent Obermeyer Farm
- Graves Farm
- White Oak Farm Special Equestrians
- Magnolia Fine Arts
- Wilkinson-Dozier House