Swaraj BhawanCurrently Closed
- Address: Mumfordgunj, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-5322467674
- Ticket Price: 5 INR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Museums, Educational Site, Historical Site
Swaraj Bhawan is located adjacent to Anand Bhawan and is as popular a tourist destination as the latter. This was the original Anand Bhawan, which was donated by Motilal Nehru to Indian National Congress. The house was bought by Motilal Nehru in 1900, and then renovated later into a palatial building. It was decorated with the finest furniture bought from abroad. The British wanted to serve it as their Head Quater, but ironically it became the Head Quarter of the INC instead. Being the ancestral home of the Nehru family and the birth place of the charismatic lady Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi, it has a special place in the hearts of the Indian people. During the times when Gandhiji conducted Satyagraha in 1930, it was the focus centre of all activities in Indian National Congress.
Presently it is not in good condition but it has lots of interesting features like:
- A museum which conducts regular audio visual program titled ‘The story of Independence’;
- An underground room where secret meeting and discussions where held during the pre-independence period;
- A school for children teaching creative art;
- and the Jawahar Planetarium.
The planetarium is named after Jawaharlal Nehru and conducts 5 shows daily in English and Hindi. It is one of the most visited places in Allahabad. The shows here are enjoyed by children as well as grown up people. The prestigious ‘Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Lecture’ is held in the planetarium every year on the birth date of Jawaharlal Nehru, 14th of November.
After visiting the museum you may enjoy the spectacular sight of the gardens and the lawns here which are lush green with grass and plants. A visit to this place is sure to make you acquainted with the history of India and her struggle for freedom.
- Be careful not to tread on the well maintained lawns and gardens in the premises.
- Visiting the place during the winter is more comfortable, as in summer it will be too hot and crowded.
- Make sure to watch the light and sound show conducted here four times daily.
- If you have children with you, take care that they do not meddle with any objects inside the museum.
- Never miss to visit the planetarium.
- Keep silence inside the museum and in the planetarium.
- No tickets needed for children less than 5 years of age.
- INR 50 per head fees for foreign visitors.
- Concessions available for groups of students from schools and colleges.
- No public transport except for taxis and auto rickshaws.
- Sagar Ratna
- Cool Breakfast Food Restaurant
- Chaht Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Allahabad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Allahabad and book an accommodation of your choice.
78.22% of people who visit Allahabad include Swaraj Bhawan in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
62.96% of people start their Swaraj Bhawan visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Swaraj Bhawan
69.23% of people prefer walking in order to reach Swaraj Bhawan