Are you looking for what to do in Alleppey?
PLACES TO SEE
- While the main motive behind visiting this abode is to relax and soak in the Kerala backwaters, there are many worth visiting attractions in and around Alleppey, one of them being the artistic Indian temples. Non-Hindus are allowed in the temples of Alleppey and you should always enquire in advance about the routine of the temples to make the most of it.
- The Padnilam Parabrahma temple located on the eastern side is the one where you can not only visit but participate in the ceremonies and rituals even if you are not a Hindu. Located at a distance of 14 kilometers from the Alleppey, the Ambalapuzha temple festival of this temple is a reflection of Indian festivities and culture. A troop of five elephants carry the idol of Lord Krishna and the music accompaniment makes it more interesting. The rose palpayasam which is offered to the gods is a dish you must try out if you have a sweet tooth. The Sreekirishna Swamy temple, Ambalpuzha is also a worth visiting sight.
- The place has a large population of Christian community. The St. Mary's Church is one of those 7 rare constructions believed to be built by St. Thomas.
- Karmadi Kuttan is a 9th century construction of the statue of Buddha. It is a beautifully cavern piece in Black granite stone and is protected by the archeological survey of India.
- To the North of the Allapuzha town is the Marari beach. It located in the place known as Mararikulam and is one of the most wonderful places in Alleppey. Besides the splashing sea waves and the sight it offers, the Mahadeva temple and Arthunkal church are also located near-by which you can visit.
- The main beach which is also the western edge of the town is a large beach where you could gaze at the setting Sun or enjoy a game of Volleyball or Frisbee. The Camel and pony rides are fun too.
- The Snake Boat races are the specialty of Alleppey. Held on 2nd of August is a traditional boat riding competition known as The Nehru Trophy snake boat race. It is the most prestigious and scenic competition where the snake boats that carry around 100 people compete with each other to complete the prescribed distance in the lowest span of time. You can rent a boat to get a closer look and the colorful waters are picturesque.
- You also plan a trip to the near-by temples of significance like Sree Nagaraj temple in mannarasala or the Sree subrahmonia Swamy temple, Haripad to enrich yourselves with the tranquility of Hindu tradition and culture.
- The 18th century aesthetic palace of Krishnapuram is a worth visiting place at about 47 kilometers from Alleppey.
THINGS TO DO
- Ride a House Boat: Known as Venice of the east due to the various canals that connect Kerala's backwaters, living on a house boat is one thing that you shouldn't miss out when in Alleppey. The inlaid channels of Alleppey support the backwater tourism and a houseboat can be easily rented for 12 hours or even for few days. You can get a glimpse of the local culture by boarding a house-boat. The boats are available in multiple price range and you can also pick the hop-on hop-off service in remote areas where you share the house-boats. The house boats are accompanied by the driver and the cook. There is a vivid range of house-boats offering various facilities including an air-conditioner. The boats with rustic look lit by lanterns are a admirable option to get in tune with the tune of Kerala. You can relax in the middle of lake, slurp in the locally brewed Toddy (or taadi- an alcoholic drink made from coconut sap), munch the southern spiced grilled prawns and admire the birds that fly in the sky. Alleppey is a photographer’s paradise.
- Visit the rice bowl of Kerala, Kuttanad where a unique way of underwater rice farming can be observed.
- If you are not looking for a stay in a house-boat, you can also pick a boat ride that lasts for 3-4 hours. There are double-decker buses with multiple passengers or the shikaras for a private ride.
- Pamper yourself with the heavenly experience of an Ayurvedic massage offered by various Spa and massage centers.
- There are number of locally arranged activities like overnight Canoe trips, Ayurvedic massage trainings or yoga lessons that you can engage in. You can also rent a small boat and go on a fishing expedition if you wish. Also, you can visit the coir manufacturing industries which are the specialty of Alleppey.
- You can never get enough of those pretty beaches of Alleppey. You can relish the Indian filter coffee at the coffee house or snack on the roadside stalls. Swimming is not ideal as the currents are strong, but there are some private resorts where you can splash and swim.
- Try out the various south Indian delicacies with the famous steamed rice, the staple food of the surrounding. The mixed cultures of Hindus and Christians have bloomed to give Alleppey a unique cuisine with the blend of both. The sea-food and the bakery items are particularly relishing.
Below we have a list of things to do in Alleppey and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Alleppey getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Alleppey with confidence.