Katarmal Sun Temple843 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Kumaon Division, Almora District, Uttarakhand, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
The Katara Sun Temple is located around 2116 meters above sea level and is the second-most important sun temple, with the Konark Temple in Odisha ranking first.
The temple was built in the 9th century by Katarmalla, a Katyuri dynasty king. It is a fine example of intricate structuring with the first rays of the sun falling straight on the temple. The main deity of the temple is Vraddhaditya (the old Sun God). The main temple is surrounded by close to 45 smaller shrines.
The temple is a major attraction and is visited by hundreds of devotees throughout the year.
Katarmal Sun Temple Travel Tips
- Food available for purchase.
- Cameras allowed.
- Bathroom facilities available.
Katarmal Sun Temple Hours
- The best time to visit is during the day.
- Other recommended time to visit this temple is in the months of September to October and March to June.
How to Reach Katarmal Sun Temple
- Buses ply to the spot.
- Taxis are also available.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Almora before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Almora and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Almora include Katarmal Sun Temple in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
56.52% of people start their Katarmal Sun Temple visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Katarmal Sun Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Katarmal Sun Temple