Called the most beautiful of all the princely states of Rajasthan, Alwar is the land of adventurers and risk takers. A breathtaking fort that defines the strength of the region reminds you of its golden yesteryears. Alwar is surrounded by the Aravali mountain range. The tale of how Ulwar became Alwar is very interesting. The King of Ulwar did not like that when arranged alphabetically, Ulwar always turned up in the last few names. So it changed it to ‘Alwar’. Historically, Alwar was a part of the Matsya dynasty in ancient days. A Rajput Muslim ruler called Hazi Khan Mewati was overthrown by the Mughal kind Akbar and the state came under Mughal rule around 1550AD.
After centuries of Muslim rule, the Ulwar princely state was finally formed by Pratap Singh of the Kachhawa clan in the second half of the 18th century. After merging the princely state in Independent India, Jai Dayal Yadav developed the area and played an important role in bringing western education facilities to the grassroots level.
Over the years, the city has evolved as an important agricultural center in Rajasthan. Even though the rainfall distribution in the area is uneven and scattered, it manages to grow a variety of crops with the help of irrigation facilities. Alwar is known for its rich mineral wealth. Marble, Granite, Feldspar, Dolomite, Quartz, Limestone, Soapstone, Barites are exported to all over India from the district headquarters. Because of this same reason, you will find beautiful houses all around the city.
Interesting exhibits of Rajputiyana architecture can be found in Alwar. The influence of Mughal designing is seen in a few monuments whereas some sculptures and stone carvings remain loyal to the local dynasties. Many tourists travel to Alwar for experiencing the wandering spirits in the Bhangarh fort, which is said to be cursed by a Tantric magician. Ghosts or not, the fact that the Archaeological Department of India has banned entry into the fort before sunrise and after sunset, which is very amusing.
The Siliserh Lake, The Vijay Mandir Mahal, Bala Quila, The Government Museum and Vinay Vilas City palace are a few of the tourist attractions in Alwar. Many of the attractions are historical monuments that are maintained well by the authorities. Rajasthan is the land of beauty and of bravery; it is the land of vibrant colors and passionate painters. Alwar is a city that represents the state very well. Traditional Rajasthani Laakh bangles and, Rajasthani traditional articles, handmade paper and Rajasthani paintings are hallmarks of Alwar tourism.
It has become a popular holiday destination in the past few years. Picturesque lakes, seemingly endless beauty, a tiger sanctuary and a haunted fort! Adventure lovers, here you go!
Essential travel information and Alwar tips for your visit
- Please book your hotel in advance. Hotel owners hike prices so it is profitable to book rooms beforehand.
- Consider the time of the year of your visit. Pack accordingly.
- In winters, you will have to pack winter wear because of the cold. Summers are hot and therefore loose, cotton clothes with do.
- Carry sunglasses, scarves and sunscreen lotion during summer visits.
- Carry a security belt to hold your important documents and money.
- Communicate with the locals; it helps you gain a deeper perspective. Also try the local cuisine and street food of the city.
- Dress according to the area that you are visiting.
- Bargain when you buy anything. Vendors charge much more than what the commodity is worth.
- Be careful from thieves and take safety measures to protect your wallet.
- Travelling with a few companions is recommended.
- Try the local Kalakand milk cake, it is delicious.
- Alwar is famous for Lakh bangles and Rajasthani souvenirs, they might interest you.
- Do not travel at night on your own. Do that only if you have a trustworthy person who knows the city with you.
- Do not fall for scams of local agents and touts. In need, contact a police officer or approach a traffic policeman.
- Do not wear a lot of jewellery while travelling and avoid carrying cash. Carry a debit card instead.
- Do not fall for local vendors trying to bluff tourists.
- Alwar has extreme weather conditions in the summer so if you are travelling during such harsh conditions, carry appropriate medicines.
Alwar Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Alwar. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Alwar trip planner.