Bala Quila, Alwar
Bala Quila, Alwar - Address, Phone Number
Address: Nikumbha Mahal Palace, Alwar, Rajasthan- 301001, India
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 04:30 pm Details
Added 2.2K times in trip plans
Historical Site, Monument, Family And Kids, Architecture , Fort
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Bala Quila, Alwar
The Bala Quila Fort is one of the oldest forts of Rajasthan. It was said to be built by Hasan Khan Mewati in 1550 AD. It is also said by some legends that the monument was built by the Nikumbh Rajputs in 928 AD. It later passed on to The Pathans, The Marathas, The Mughals, The Jats, The Kacchwaha Rajputs and at the end was captured by Maharao Raja Pratap Singh, the owner of Alwar in 1775 AD. History says that the fort was visited by Mughal Emperors such as Babur and Jahangir. Babur is said to have spent a night over here and he had also taken away the hidden treasure from here and gifted it to his son Humayun. Later, Akbar sent his son Salim there on exile for three years and a part where he stayed is known as Salim Khana.
The Bala Quila is said to be ‘The Pride of Alwar’. It is a shining example of bravery and graciousness of the Rajputs. The Bala Quila fort underlines the meaning of ‘fort’ mentioned in the ancient scriptures which says that it is ‘the strength of a king’.
The fort is situated at around 15kms from the main city and is at a height of above 300 meters. It is said to have been built at such a height so that every detail of Alwar can be viewed from there. The beautiful architecture of the fort includes-
- 15 large and 51 small towers.
- 446 loopholes for musketry, grand gates with striking designs and 8 towers to strengthen the construction.
- 6 different gates, namely- Jai Pol, Suraj Pol, Lakshman Pol, Krishen Pol, Chand Pol and Andheri Gate.
- The remains of the Jai Mahal, Nikumbh Mahal, Salim Sagar Pond, Suraj Kund and many other temples.
- The radio transmitter station and the army area inside the fort.
- The beautiful Sitaram Temple, Chakradhari Temple and the Hanumanji Temple.
- Ruins of a fortress built by Alagh Rai.
The most attracting feature is the view of the city of Alwar decorated with lakes. This place is an example of Indo-Islamic architecture and stunning craftsmanship. The scriptures inscribed inside are worth a visit.
Thus, this place is a page of history, which takes you 1100 years back to the delightful era of the Royals.
Bala Quila Information
- The Bala Quila is best visited around September to February as the weather is pleasant.
- The walk to the fort is difficult due to the steep pathway.
- You can take a rickshaw from the main road.
- Entry to the fort is allowed only with a permit issued by the superintendent of the Police.
- The fort is accessible only by a 4 wheeler drive.
Bala Quila Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
How To reach Bala Quila by Public Transport
- The closest airport is the Delhi IGI airport.
- Alwar is the closest rail station.
Restaurants Near Bala Quila
- Inderlok Restaurant
- Narula’s Restaurant
- Ice & Spice
- Tija Coffee House
- Angeethi Restaurant
- Prem Pavitra Bhojanalaya
- The Bridge
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Alwar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Alwar and book an accommodation of your choice.
Bala Quila, Alwar Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Kanwal Resort