Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens, Amiens
Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens, Amiens - Address, Phone Number
Address: Place Notre-Dame, 80000 Amiens, France.
Time Required: 00:45 Mins
Timings: 08:30 am - 05:15 pm Details
Added 2.4K times in trip plans
Church, Monument, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens, Amiens
Quoted as ‘the very finest thing done perfectly in its manner by northern Christendom’ by the English critic John Ruskin, the monument justifies the statement. Classified as a UNESCO World Heritage monument it’s the tallest and the largest Gothic church in France and is truly a monument apart. Although the construction began in the year 1220A.D the very first church of Amiens was formed as far back as 3rd century by St. Firmin. From laying the cornerstone to its completion it took about 50 years.
- One of the most striking features is the multi-coloured entrance facade. Elaborate care and precision went into installing lights which bring out the original colours of the paints used then.
- The west end portal has a tympanum which shows the Christ in full glory during the Judgement day.
- It has the largest interior with about 126 pillars and an ancient relic which is believed to be real skull of John the Baptist.
- The walls are adorned with sculptures depicting biblical events and lives and miracles of Saints.
Although the cathedral remained largely un-harmed throughout the ages and also during the World Wars it was subjected to many other damages. Repeated occurrence of accidental fires claimed a lot of original stained windows from the 1200s. Yet the Cathedral today stands majestic, embodying both its glory and its scars with grace, a must visit.
Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens Information
- Every summer and Christmas evening there are laser light shows happen near the façade.
- The west tower is accessible from where an awesome view of the city can be enjoyed.
Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens Opening and Closing Hours
- Monday to Friday: 3.00pm to 4.4.30pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 2.00pm to 5.15pm
- June 15th to 30th, at 10.45pm
- July at 10.30pm
- August at 10.00pm
- September at 9.45pm
- December 15th to January 6th at 8.00pm
How To reach Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens by Public Transport
- Use a guide or ask locals to visit this area.
- Drive or walk if convenient.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Amiens before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amiens and book an accommodation of your choice.
Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens, Amiens Reviews - Write a Review
Masterpiece of late Gothic art adorned with impressive exterior sculptures that used to be colorful when they were created (you can still see traces of paint). Interior is a bit disappointing after visiting Reims and Chartres: nearly all original medieval stained glasses were lost and replaced with some showing simple motifs.
Beautiful cathedral. High ceilings with beautiful light. There was no cost to enter and walk through. Didn't require a huge amount of time to visit, but was a well worth the stop. A must see when in Amiens.
The Cathedral of Amiens is beautiful, The Gothic art of the cathedral is well represented on the facade During the summer night the Cathedral lights up. The inside of Cathedral is beautiful,it is a place of worship. I would recommend it for the quiet people.
I HAVE JUST 5 SENTENCES TO DESCRIBE THE CATHEDRAL! The Cathedral is a historical place. It is located at the heart of the city. It is a big monument. It is a gothic cathedral.It is beautiful!!!!!
It is a very large cathedral in front of wich there are 3 large doors. Inside, there is a lot of gold. I love this cathedral. It is located in the center of the city, it is a very big monument.