Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens411 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Place Notre-Dame, 80000 Amiens, France.
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:15 pm Details
- Phone: +33-322800341
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Family And Kids, Cathedral
Quoted as ‘the very finest thing done perfectly in its manner by northern Christendom’ by the English critic John Ruskin, the monument justifies the statement. Classified as a UNESCO World Heritage monument it’s the tallest and the largest Gothic church in France and is truly a monument apart. Although the construction began in the year 1220A.D the very first church of Amiens was formed as far back as 3rd century by St. Firmin. From laying the cornerstone to its completion it took about 50 years.
- One of the most striking features is the multi-coloured entrance facade. Elaborate care and precision went into installing lights which bring out the original colours of the paints used then.
- The west end portal has a tympanum which shows the Christ in full glory during the Judgement day.
- It has the largest interior with about 126 pillars and an ancient relic which is believed to be real skull of John the Baptist.
- The walls are adorned with sculptures depicting biblical events and lives and miracles of Saints.
Although the cathedral remained largely un-harmed throughout the ages and also during the World Wars it was subjected to many other damages. Repeated occurrence of accidental fires claimed a lot of original stained windows from the 1200s. Yet the Cathedral today stands majestic, embodying both its glory and its scars with grace, a must visit.
Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens Travel Tips
- Every summer and Christmas evening there are laser light shows happen near the façade.
- The west tower is accessible from where an awesome view of the city can be enjoyed.
Entrance Ticket Details For Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens
- Entry is free.
Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens Hours
- Monday to Friday: 3.00pm to 4.4.30pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 2.00pm to 5.15pm
- June 15th to 30th, at 10.45pm
- July at 10.30pm
- August at 10.00pm
- September at 9.45pm
- December 15th to January 6th at 8.00pm
How to Reach Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens
- Use a guide or ask locals to visit this area.
- Drive or walk if convenient.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Amiens before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amiens and book an accommodation of your choice.
81.39% of people who visit Amiens include Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
36.04% of people start their Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens
52.44% of people prefer walking in order to reach Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens