Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiensCurrently Closed
- Address: Place Notre-Dame, 80000 Amiens, France.
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:15 pm Details
- Phone: +33-322800341
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Church, Monument, Family And Kids
Quoted as ‘the very finest thing done perfectly in its manner by northern Christendom’ by the English critic John Ruskin, the monument justifies the statement. Classified as a UNESCO World Heritage monument it’s the tallest and the largest Gothic church in France and is truly a monument apart. Although the construction began in the year 1220A.D the very first church of Amiens was formed as far back as 3rd century by St. Firmin. From laying the cornerstone to its completion it took about 50 years.
- One of the most striking features is the multi-coloured entrance facade. Elaborate care and precision went into installing lights which bring out the original colours of the paints used then.
- The west end portal has a tympanum which shows the Christ in full glory during the Judgement day.
- It has the largest interior with about 126 pillars and an ancient relic which is believed to be real skull of John the Baptist.
- The walls are adorned with sculptures depicting biblical events and lives and miracles of Saints.
Although the cathedral remained largely un-harmed throughout the ages and also during the World Wars it was subjected to many other damages. Repeated occurrence of accidental fires claimed a lot of original stained windows from the 1200s. Yet the Cathedral today stands majestic, embodying both its glory and its scars with grace, a must visit.
- Every summer and Christmas evening there are laser light shows happen near the façade.
- The west tower is accessible from where an awesome view of the city can be enjoyed.
- Entry is free.
- Monday to Friday: 3.00pm to 4.4.30pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 2.00pm to 5.15pm
- June 15th to 30th, at 10.45pm
- July at 10.30pm
- August at 10.00pm
- September at 9.45pm
- December 15th to January 6th at 8.00pm
- Use a guide or ask locals to visit this area.
- Drive or walk if convenient.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Amiens before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amiens and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Amiens include Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
36.04% of people start their Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens
52.44% of people prefer walking in order to reach Cathedrale Notre-dame D'amiens
Great stop on the route. Cathedral is impressive and gives the relax and calm. The focus point of that church was scull of st John baptist brought from holly land. Unfortunately original was lost so you can see the copy. Lovely architecture.
A beautiful cathedral which is free to enter but donation suggested. Lots of history in just under 1000 years and interesting to learn about its place during ww1. Easy for children to walk around and view the architecture. The most beautiful stained glass windows. Signs in both English and French.
Breathtakingly awesome cathedral and the biggest I've ever seen from that century!! Work started in 1220 and stage one was completed 63 years after. This nearly makes Notre Dame de Paris look insignifiant! Coming in from any direction you'll see the cathedral from miles away. A must visit monument if you're within a 2 hour drive.
We saw the chroma show in the evening and loved it and then went back the next day to view the I side of the church. Very impressive!
Amazing building with the possibility of using audio guide (for a fee?). There are also some information signes with facts from WW1 in relation to the church. Bigger than Notre Dame Paris and less crowded.