Caves At NaoursCurrently Closed
- Address: 5 Rue des Carrières, 80260 Naours, France, Amiens
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Phone: +33-322937178
- Ticket Price: 10 EUR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Cave, Historical Site, Family And Kids
No amount of photos can do justice to the caves of Naours as much as a real visit. Since the region was highly prone to invasions, right from the 3rd century onwards people dug this limestone plateau in hopes of building a safe haven. With time these network of caves became so big that about 2600 people could be housed there along with their rations and livestock. It is only in the late 19th century were the caves, which were by then an underground city, was re-discovered.
The caves extend inwards for about 3kms with 28 galleries and 300 rooms with each room bearing a lot of inscriptions. Right from the Norman Invasion till about the French Revolution the caves were used as a safe resort by the people of Picard. Even during the world wars the caves were used by the British and Canadian troops for storing their reserves. After the WWII ended the caves were reopened to the public for tourism from 1949.
Caves At Naours Travel Tips
- Not recommended for disabled people.
- Along with a small wax museum in the vicinity there is also a playground for children, a mini golf course and a small animal park, a bar, a restaurant and a picnic area. Free parking.
Entrance Ticket Details For Caves At Naours
- For students, unemployed, disabled EUR 9 (ID mandatory)
- For children from 5 to 12 years of age, EUR 7
- FREE, under 5 years.
- For a detailed group list prices, refer website.
How to Reach Caves At Naours
- Located on RN25 enroute to Doullens from Amiens.
- Ask locals to get here, drive or walk if possible.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Amiens before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amiens and book an accommodation of your choice.
48.91% of people who visit Amiens include Caves At Naours in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
30.3% of people start their Caves At Naours visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Caves At Naours
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Caves At Naours