Caves At Naours, Amiens
Caves At Naours, Amiens - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: 5 Rue des Carrieres | Naours, Flesselles, France
Ticket Price: 10 EUR
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 06:30 pm Details
Added 1.6K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Cave, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Caves At Naours, Amiens
No amount of photos can do justice to the caves of Naours as much as a real visit. Since the region was highly prone to invasions, right from the 3rd century onwards people dug this limestone plateau in hopes of building a safe haven. With time these network of caves became so big that about 2600 people could be housed there along with their rations and livestock. It is only in the late 19th century were the caves, which were by then an underground city, was re-discovered.
The caves extend inwards for about 3kms with 28 galleries and 300 rooms with each room bearing a lot of inscriptions. Right from the Norman Invasion till about the French Revolution the caves were used as a safe resort by the people of Picard. Even during the world wars the caves were used by the British and Canadian troops for storing their reserves. After the WWII ended the caves were reopened to the public for tourism from 1949.
Caves At Naours Information
- Not recommended for disabled people.
- Along with a small wax museum in the vicinity there is also a playground for children, a mini golf course and a small animal park, a bar, a restaurant and a picnic area. Free parking.
Caves At Naours Ticket Prices
- For students, unemployed, disabled EUR 9 (ID mandatory)
- For children from 5 to 12 years of age, EUR 7
- FREE, under 5 years.
- For a detailed group list prices, refer website.
How To reach Caves At Naours by Public Transport
- Located on RN25 enroute to Doullens from Amiens.
- Ask locals to get here, drive or walk if possible.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Amiens before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amiens and book an accommodation of your choice.