Les Hortillonnages D'amiensCurrently Closed
- Address: 54 Boulevard Beauville, 80000 Amiens, France.
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-322921218
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Garden, River, Play, Family And Kids
The etymology comes from the Latin word Hortellus meaning small garden, Les Hortillonnages is a great example of how agrarian hands shaped a wilderness into one of the most beautiful garden in Amiens. The garden is well over 2000 years old but today only about 300 hectares of the original 10,000 is left and the rest destroyed due to erosion. There are water paths that take you through the garden. The soil being composed of silt and limestone is very fertile and permeable.
The water comes from the river Somme and its tributary Avre. The gardens are home to a variety of vegetable yielding plants and crops and along with it, it is also the second most visited destination in Amiens after the Cathedral. With about 100,000 visitors every year the site serves economically both tourism wise and production wise.
- Group visits by prior appointment.
- On every 3rd Sunday of June a water market is held where the merchants dressed in old costumes sell their vegetables and fruits in the traditional way of the olden times.
- For Adults: EUR 5.90
- Adolescents 11-16 years: EUR 5.20
- Children of 4 to 10 years of age: EUR 4.10
- Below 4 years: Entry is free.
- Located on Boulevard de Beauville, Ask locals for info and direction or drive here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Amiens before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amiens and book an accommodation of your choice.
92.45% of people who visit Amiens include Les Hortillonnages D'amiens in their plan
48.24% of people start their Les Hortillonnages D'amiens visit around 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Les Hortillonnages D'amiens
82.46% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Les Hortillonnages D'amiens
Nice boat tour of the canals but the tour is in French.
Lovely boat ride in the marshes. Unfortunately they didn't provide a guide in English.
Inexpensive way to add nature to a visit to Amiens
We enjoyed the floating gardens, nice an peaceful river ride, pity we dont speak the language
An unforgettable visit... Manure harbor in Hortillonnages The Amiénois hortillonnages constitute an exceptional setting, an area of greenery and water in the heart of the metropolis of Amiens. Your visit will take you for a discovery of canals and gardens, and especially a privileged natural setting, where it is good to breathe...