Amman Citadel276 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Amman, Jordan
- Timings: 08:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +962-64638795
- Tags: Family And Kids, Neighborhoods
This hill, one of the seven that make up Amman, is of historical interest not just to the country of Jordan back to the entire human race. It has been settled by humans for more than 18,000 years as far back as the Paleolithic Age. After the Assyrian, Babylonian, and Persian occupations, the Romans came, and destroyed much of what came before them. Later the area was occupied by Byzantine and Ummayad rulers. It's a began to seriously decline after the thirteenth century. The highlights of the complex are:
- Roman Temple of Hercules - From the 2nd century
- Umayyad Palace - 8th century palatial complex
- Umayyad water cistern - Huge hole in the ground with steps leading down, 1 super light water
- Byzantine church - 7th century construct destroyed by quakes and with a few mosaics
- Ayyubid watchtower
- Also on site is an archaeological museum which has been covered as a separate attraction
You will find that ticket office on the road leading up to the entrance. It is recommended that you hire one of the license to guide to show you around. They are multilingual and really know the place.
Amman Citadel Travel Tips
- It is best to take a taxi up to the Citadel. The alternative is a steep Ascent on foot.
Entrance Ticket Details For Amman Citadel
- Guides: JD15
How to Reach Amman Citadel
- Drive or take a taxi to here.
- There may be a bus station nearby.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Amman before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amman and book an accommodation of your choice.
31.08% of people who visit Amman include Amman Citadel in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
75.73% of people start their Amman Citadel visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Amman Citadel
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Amman Citadel