The Golden Temple5060 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Golden Temple Rd, Atta Mandi, Katra Ahluwalia, Amritsar, Punjab 143006, India
- Timings: 03:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-1832553957
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Gurudwara, Historical Site, Family And Kids
What Mecca is to Islam, Amritsar is to Sikhism! The Golden Temple is a symbol of religious sanctity among the Sikhs. Situated in the premises of the Harmandir Sahib, the Golden Temple Amritsar is at the end of a long causeway, preceded by the Amrit Savovar (Pool of Nectar), said to be the holy water with healing and redemption powers. Many devout Sikhs come and bathe and cleanse themselves in the tank which holds the Amrit (Nectar). The Golden Temple opens its door to people from walks and faiths of life. This open mind ideology stems from the belief that everyone is welcome to come and worship as all are equal in the eyes of God.
The architecture of the Golden Temple has nuances of both Hindu as well as Muslim architecture. The lower level is made out of elegant marble and is reminiscent of the interiors of the Taj Mahal with its motifs and pietra dura. The second level of the Temple showcases engraved golden panels and a dome made from 750kg worth of Gold. The place of worship, the Gurudwara, is on the second level. Photography is prohibited within the inner sanctum. The Adi Granth, considered to be, the holiest book is placed at the sanctum during the hours of worship. Chants from the Guru Granth Sahib are playing in the background feeling with the visitor, a feeling of tranquility.
The premises of the Harmandir Sahib run the largest free kitchen in the world, feeding around 80,000 plus people every day. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Amritsar itinerary 3 days.
The Golden Temple Travel Tips
- The Golden Temple is a place of worship and reverence. Dress appropriately and before you enter the temple, wash your feet and cover your head with the scarf.
- You can either buy the scarf at a minimal price, or it will be provided for you.
- Since you can eat at the langar for free, it’s customary to tip or make a donation before exiting.
Entrance Ticket Details For The Golden Temple
Golden temple ticket price : Free
The Golden Temple Hours
Golden Temple Timings - 3am to 10pm
How to Reach The Golden Temple
- There’s a free shuttle that runs between the railway station and the Golden Temple. The Golden Temple is easily accessible by all modes of city transport (buses, autos and cycle rickshaws).
- The Golden Temple itself has a large dining hall within its premises called the langar. They provide free meals for everyone and is a must try.
- Bharavan the Dhaba and the New Punjab Rasoi.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Amritsar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amritsar and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Amritsar include The Golden Temple in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
61.14% of people start their The Golden Temple visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see The Golden Temple
66.88% of people prefer walking in order to reach The Golden Temple