Wagah BorderCurrently Closed
- Address: Attari, Amritsar 143001., India
- Timings: 08:30 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Tags: Off Road, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Military Area
Wagah Border - Review
Anyone with a little knowledge about Indian freedom struggle will be familiar with the Radcliffe line. Many villages on the border of the two resultant countries had to be divided depending on what jurisdiction they fell under. One such village that was divided was Wagha, Attari. The Wagah road is the most important route, since it connects the two countries through a single road.
This road has Border Security officials from both India and Pakistan and is known for beating the retreat, which is the ceremony that takes place daily involving closing the two borders and lowering the national flags of both parties. From the Indian side, this ceremony is free for everyone and many people, nationals and foreigners flock to see this ceremony. The ceremony commences with the patriotism in the air as the border closing time approaches, followed by soldiers marching towards their respective nations’ gates, saluting each other, lowering and folding the flag. The ceremony is concluded by the sound of trumpets and the gates slamming shut.
Given the history of partition in India, Wagah border has become an attraction of interest in Amritsar. Since this is an international border, there are no ticket prices for Wagah border, however, if you take up tours, they will be able to help you with the history and relevance with the help of a guide. Wagah border tickets for tours sell fast. Thus, make your choice and get an ultimate deal for yourself. Tickets for Wagah border with tours change as they can be added with other attractions. Wagah Border ticket prices won’t cost you much but will offer you experience of a lifetime. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Amritsar itinerary 3 days.
Wagah Border Information
- While this ceremony is free for all, nationality no bar, foreign tourists are advised to carry their passports.
- Don’t carry any bags, including purses and handbags. Carry any essentials, if at all, in a clear plastic bag to show the authorities at the check points.
- All cellular networks are banned and jammed near the border, so you will not receive any phone signal. You can still carry your phone, camera and a man wallet.
- Be alert of the people you’re going with and stick together. There’s no crowd control and once the gates are open, the crowds rush in causing a sudden stampede.
How To reach Wagah Border by Public Transport
- There is a bus that leaves from Amritsar and goes as far as Attari, from where you’ll have to take a cycle rickshaw to where the border ceremony is held.
Restaurants Near Wagah Border
- Sarhad (1 km from the Wagah Border).
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Amritsar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amritsar and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Wagah Border
95% of people who visit Amritsar include Wagah Border in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
48.23% of people start their Wagah Border visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Wagah Border
75.28% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Wagah Border
Wagah Border Map
Wagah Border Trips
Wagah Border, Amritsar Reviews
Its definitely one of a kind experience, I think this is the most patriotic feeling I have experienced ever. Definitely a must visit place for each and everyone. The atmosphere is electric on both sides of the border. The soldiers are in their to form and literally I had goosebumps. The ceremony starts at around 5 pm and goes on till 5:30. The car is parked around 1km away from the border and you have to walk from there, so keep that in mind. Definitely visit this place whenever in Amritsar next.
Energetic patriotic ceremony which i enjoy the most. If you get a chance to visit this place come participate with the right spirit, then You can enjoy the border security force evening closing ceremony. Normally in holidays the crowd is huge do come early and take the seats in the front row to enjoy the most. Ladies and girls are permitted to dance. If you are allergic to dust please take mask.
I visited Amritsar strictly to see Golden Temple, I had no Idea that Wagah Flag Ceremony even existed. We were able to find a taxi that took 2 of us there and back for 300 rupees. We went on Friday and unfortunately there were barely anyone at the Pakistan border side, we were later told that the best days to visit are Monday to Thursday. Hope this helps, enjoy! If you have any questions feel free to ask me - @SelfMadePath
I had the amazing opportunity to see this daily military spectacle from Pakistan side. The protocol takes long but is extremely interesting and colourful, offering unique insight to the India-Pakistan relations and culture. Despite long queueing times and long walk this really is one of the must sees.
YOU WILL NEVER FEEL MORE PATRIOTIC IN YOUR LIFE! Great place and a must visit for every Indian. The show is electrifying and full of energy. Come at least 3hrs early to ensure a seat. Many people have to return disappointed because they did not arrive early.
All QuestionsWagah border
How to book closing ceremony tickets ?Answer Report Abuse
You don't need to book tickets unless you want VIP seating. The general seats are available on first come first serve basis.
VIP tickets are available at the BSF office, but you don't really need them if you plan to arrive to the Border earlyReport Abuse
- Museo Parrocchiale Di San Grato
- Sala Giochi Del Corso Di Farina Caterina
- Santuario S. Domenico
- Pirotecnica Peter Pan Dicalvetta Fioravante
- Biblioteca Calabrese Centro Culturale Folklore
- Biblioteca Calabrese Istituto
- Parrocchia San Martino Vescovo
- Sergio Giuseppe
- Vallesella Di Cadore
- Camping International Di Cologna
- Da Vià Federico
- Ptp Rifugio Bajon - Rifugio Cai Permanente
- Parrocchia SS Quirico E Giulitta