Wagah Border4428 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 06:30 pm]
- Address: Wagah, Hardo Rattan, Punjab 143108, Amritsar, India
- Timings: 08:30 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Tags: Off Road, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Military Area
Anyone with a little knowledge about Indian freedom struggle will be familiar with the Radcliffe line. Many villages on the border of the two resultant countries had to be divided depending on what jurisdiction they fell under. One such village that was divided was Wagha, Attari. The Wagah road is the most important route, since it connects the two countries through a single road.
This road has Border Security officials from both India and Pakistan and is known for beating the retreat, which is the ceremony that takes place daily involving closing the two borders and lowering the national flags of both parties. From the Indian side, this ceremony is free for everyone and many people, nationals and foreigners flock to see this ceremony. The ceremony commences with the patriotism in the air as the border closing time approaches, followed by soldiers marching towards their respective nations’ gates, saluting each other, lowering and folding the flag. The ceremony is concluded by the sound of trumpets and the gates slamming shut.
Given the history of partition in India, Wagah border has become an attraction of interest in Amritsar. Since this is an international border, there are no ticket prices for Wagah border, however, if you take up tours, they will be able to help you with the history and relevance with the help of a guide. Wagah border tickets for tours sell fast. Thus, make your choice and get an ultimate deal for yourself. Tickets for Wagah border with tours change as they can be added with other attractions. Wagah Border ticket prices won’t cost you much but will offer you experience of a lifetime. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Amritsar itinerary 3 days.
Wagah Border Travel Tips
- While this ceremony is free for all, nationality no bar, foreign tourists are advised to carry their passports.
- Don’t carry any bags, including purses and handbags. Carry any essentials, if at all, in a clear plastic bag to show the authorities at the check points.
- All cellular networks are banned and jammed near the border, so you will not receive any phone signal. You can still carry your phone, camera and a man wallet.
- Be alert of the people you’re going with and stick together. There’s no crowd control and once the gates are open, the crowds rush in causing a sudden stampede.
How to Reach Wagah Border
- There is a bus that leaves from Amritsar and goes as far as Attari, from where you’ll have to take a cycle rickshaw to where the border ceremony is held.
- Sarhad (1 km from the Wagah Border)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Amritsar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amritsar and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Amritsar include Wagah Border in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
31.72% of people start their Wagah Border visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Wagah Border
57.59% of people prefer walking in order to reach Wagah Border
Wagah Border Reviews & Ratings
How to book closing ceremony tickets ?Answer Report Abuse
You don't need to book tickets unless you want VIP seating. The general seats are available on first come first serve basis.
VIP tickets are available at the BSF office, but you don't really need them if you plan to arrive to the Border earlyReport Abuse