BegijnhofCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Catharinastraat 45, 4811 XE Breda, Netherlands, Amsterdam
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +31-765211276
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Courtyard
Begijnhof - Review
Basically it is an enclosed courtyard, but in reality there is a lot more to unleash. This place links itself to the ancient historical era. This sanctified place is considered to be one of the best loved places, in the city of Amsterdam. The creation of this place was initially meant for the sisterhood known as Begijntjes. It was a Catholic sisterhood without any monastic view, though the sisters used to live like the nuns. There are a lot of beautiful houses which surrounds the well kept garden where you can find some serene time for yourself and a place for deep contemplation. The busy traffic and its cacophony are not areas of concern in there.
- The interesting fact about this place is that a lot of single women live here till date and the tourists are required to maintain silence as a gesture of respect to their lives of solitude.
- If you have a contemplative inclination, then you may take a whole day to see the place. Otherwise in general, an hour should be sufficient.
- Chapel on Mondays 1:00 pm - 6:30 pm; Tuesday to Friday 9:00 am - 6:30 pm & on Saturday and Sunday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm.
How To reach Begijnhof by Public Transport
- Take a bus from Amsterdam, Spui (Rokin)
- Take a tram from Amsterdam, Spui (Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal)
Restaurants Near Begijnhof
- The Hard Rock Cafe
- Bel Hamel Sea Palace
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Amsterdam before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amsterdam and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Begijnhof
16.8% of people who visit Amsterdam include Begijnhof in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
46.94% of people start their Begijnhof visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Begijnhof
53.94% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Begijnhof
Begijnhof, Amsterdam Reviews
Interesting history and a church bigger than you would think. One of the best things to see in this end of town.
This is a hidden place. The access is through in a door inside the Begijnhof. Lovely Chappell with a beautiful Christmas crib! Glad to found it.
Probably the most peaceful place in Amsterdam city center
Great place to see a different side of Amsterdam. A quick stop, but worth the 10 minutes. Very quiet even though you are in the middle of the city. I recommend stopping by if you are close.
Totally recommended! Just cross a door and you feel in another world of peace in the heart of the city.