Jewish Cultural Quarter, Amsterdam
About Jewish Cultural Quarter, Amsterdam
Jewish Cultural Quarter, Amsterdam - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Nieuwe Amstelstraat 1, 1011 PL Amsterdam, Netherlands
Ticket Price: 15 EUR
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 11:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 117.2K times in trip plans
Museum, Monument, Family And Kids, Synagogue
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Located inside the famous old Jewish quarter in Amsterdam, the Jewish Historical museum plays a significant role in retelling the history of Hewish community and culture.It is one of the must see amsterdam toursit attraction. This area is built upon the site historic synagogues and Holocaust-era events which were left deserted after the Jews were deported to Auschwitz and Sobibor. Inside the museum there are three permanent exhibitions that portray the history and culture of the Jewish people in the Netherlands. Just opposite to this famous museum is the Portuguese synagogue that was erected in 1775. Some of the important sites to see in the Jewish cultural quarter are:
- Jewish Historical Museum: This museum will give you an insight into the past and present of Jewish life, religion and culture with the help of its exhibitions.
- Jewish Children Museum: An exhibition to teach children about Judaism, and that too from a child’s perspective.
- Portuguese Synagogue: This religious complex houses archives, a mortuary, and a library. The architecture is stunning and mysterious. The library on the other hand contains more than 25.000 books and 560 manuscripts in Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Greek, Arabic and Yiddish.
- February Protest Monument: This monument was built to commemorate the strike of the Amsterdam dock workers on February 24, 1941, to protest the brutal persecution of Jews.
- Hollandse Schouwburg: Once a theatre, this site was used as the concentration place for the Amsterdam Jews before their deportation to the Nazi concentration camps. Today, it is the main Holocaust monument in the city along with Anne Frank’s House.
There is one ticket for the Jewish Historical Museum, JHM Children's Museum, the Portuguese Synagogue and the Hollandsche Schouwburg.
Jewish Cultural Quarter Ticket Prices
- Adult: €15,00
- Children up to 6 years of age: free
- 6 - 12 years of age: € 3.75
- 13 - 17 years of age, students, Stadspas: € 7.50
Jewish Cultural Quarter Opening and Closing Hours
- The ticket house closes at 4:30 pm.
- For timings and closing days on various festivals and events, refer to the website.
How To reach Jewish Cultural Quarter by Public Transport
- By Subway Station: Amsterdam, Waterlooplein
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Amsterdam before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amsterdam and book an accommodation of your choice.
Jewish Cultural Quarter, Amsterdam Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Entrecôte Et Les Dames
- Restaurant Gandhi
- Amsterdam Free Walking Tours And Pub Crawls Original Amsterdam Tours
- Jephtastraat 77
- Apartment Oudezijdsvoorburgwal Hotel
- Da Portare Via
- Chapter 21
- Herengracht 171
- Amsterdam Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Amsterdam
- What to See in 48 Hours in Amsterdam
- What to See in 72 Hours in Amsterdam
- How to Spend 5 Days in Amsterdam
- How to Spend 6 Days in Amsterdam
- How to Spend 7 Days in Amsterdam