Jewish Cultural QuarterCurrently Closed
- Address: Nieuwe Amstelstraat 1, 1011 PL Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Timings: 11:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +31-205310310
- Ticket Price: 15 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museum, Monument, Family And Kids, Synagogue
Jewish Cultural Quarter - Review
Located inside the famous old Jewish quarter in Amsterdam, the Jewish Historical museum plays a significant role in retelling the history of Hewish community and culture.It is one of the must see amsterdam toursit attraction. This area is built upon the site historic synagogues and Holocaust-era events which were left deserted after the Jews were deported to Auschwitz and Sobibor. Inside the museum there are three permanent exhibitions that portray the history and culture of the Jewish people in the Netherlands. Just opposite to this famous museum is the Portuguese synagogue that was erected in 1775. Some of the important sites to see in the Jewish cultural quarter are:
- Jewish Historical Museum: This museum will give you an insight into the past and present of Jewish life, religion and culture with the help of its exhibitions.
- Jewish Children Museum: An exhibition to teach children about Judaism, and that too from a child’s perspective.
- Portuguese Synagogue: This religious complex houses archives, a mortuary, and a library. The architecture is stunning and mysterious. The library on the other hand contains more than 25.000 books and 560 manuscripts in Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Greek, Arabic and Yiddish.
- February Protest Monument: This monument was built to commemorate the strike of the Amsterdam dock workers on February 24, 1941, to protest the brutal persecution of Jews.
- Hollandse Schouwburg: Once a theatre, this site was used as the concentration place for the Amsterdam Jews before their deportation to the Nazi concentration camps. Today, it is the main Holocaust monument in the city along with Anne Frank’s House.
There is one ticket for the Jewish Historical Museum, JHM Children's Museum, the Portuguese Synagogue and the Hollandsche Schouwburg.
Jewish Cultural Quarter Ticket Prices
- Adult: €15,00
- Children up to 6 years of age: free
- 6 - 12 years of age: € 3.75
- 13 - 17 years of age, students, Stadspas: € 7.50
Jewish Cultural Quarter Hours
- The ticket house closes at 4:30 pm.
- For timings and closing days on various festivals and events, refer to the website.
How To reach Jewish Cultural Quarter by Public Transport
- By Subway Station: Amsterdam, Waterlooplein
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Amsterdam before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Amsterdam and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Jewish Cultural Quarter
60.7% of people who visit Amsterdam include Jewish Cultural Quarter in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
72.1% of people start their Jewish Cultural Quarter visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Jewish Cultural Quarter
84.87% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Jewish Cultural Quarter