Eklutna LakeCurrently Open
- Address: Eklutna Lake, Anchorage, AK, USA, United States
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, View Point, Family And Kids, Lake
Eklutna Lake - Review
The pristine natural treasures of Lake Eklutna are ridiculously easy to appreciate. All you need is time. The lake is about an hour’s drive north of Anchorage. Its waters are glacier fed. Activities revolve around hiking, ATVs, camping and kayaking. It’s perhaps the most tranquil of all of Anchorage’s attractions.
You may enjoy the lake in the following order of sights to see and things to do:
- Eklutna Village Historical Park: Centuries old Athabaskan Indian settlement. The St. Nicholas Church is one of the oldest buildings in the Anchorage area.
- Thunderbird Falls: just after taking the right exit from Glen’s highway into Old Glen’s Highway and right before you enter Eklutna Lake Road, there is a short trail leading to a tremendous waterfall.
- Rochelle's Ice Cream Shop: a little over a mile before you reach the parking area of the lake, you’ll find one of the cutest ice-cream parlour you’ll ever see in a blue, yellow and white building.
- Visit the Lifetime Adventure Visitor Center: They manage the camping area here. They also provided guided kayak tours, bike tours, bike rentals and kayak rentals.
- Camping Area: there are over 50 campsites with latrines, water, picnic tables and fire pits.
- Kayaking the lake: Launch your boat from the campground, head out into the middle of the lake. Fish if you feel like it.
- Eklutna Lake Trail: You can hike or bike this trail, about 10 miles long, and it takes you closer to the Eklutna Glacier. The last part of the trail goes onto glacial gravel bars and glacial debris, past steep canyons and the Glacier itself. The area is nice for skiiing in the winter.
- Hiking the Twin Peaks Trail: Steep trail leading up to a meadow with a grand sight of Twin Peaks and Goat Rock, as well as panoramas of the valley.
- Eklutna River East Fork Trail: Narrow and wild trail passing a small lake.
- Mt. Eklutna Trail: Start at Peter’s Creek Trail head, the head off onto Mt. Eklutna trail for some terrific panoramas. It’s quite far from the campsite though.
- Photograph the wildlife: Dall sheep, mountain goats, and pikas.
Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Anchorage itinerary 3 days.
Eklutna Lake Information
- Lifetime adventure Visitors center: +1 (907) 746-4644
- If you here on an ATV, remember that certain trails and path are pedestrian only.
- Bush planes can land on the unpaved Bold Airstrip.
- You will need anti-bug spray.
- Only experienced climbers should try and climb the rocks up to the glacier.
Eklutna Lake Ticket Prices
- Free Visit
- $ 5 parking fee.
Lifetime Adventure Visitor Center:
- Paddle & Pedal: $85
- Full Day Guided Kayaking: Cost: $140 per person, reserve 24 hours in advance.
- Guided Bike Trip: $135 per person, reserve 24 hours in advance.
Eklutna Lake Opening and Closing Hours
Lifetime Adventure Visitor Center:
- May 22nd – September 7th
- Sunday through Friday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Saturdays: 10:00am - 8:00pm
- Closed September 8 - May 21
- All other visits by appointment only.
- Paddle & Pedal: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday: 6 hour Kayak trip beginning at 11:00am.
- Guided Bike Trip: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Rochelle’s Ice cream Restaurant: Open Mother's Day weekend through the third weekend in September. Call to see if open before your visit.
Eklutna Trail ATV access: April - November, Sunday - Wednesday only.
Camping for 15 nights max at one time.
How To reach Eklutna Lake by Public Transport
- By rented car or taxi.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Anchorage before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Anchorage and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Eklutna Lake
95% of people who visit Anchorage include Eklutna Lake in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
90.71% of people start their Eklutna Lake visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 8 Hrs to see Eklutna Lake
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Eklutna Lake
Eklutna Lake Map
Eklutna Lake Trips
Eklutna Lake, Anchorage Reviews
Eklutna lake was beautiful. We took the loop trail around to the water and then walked about 2 miles up the lakeside ATV trail. The views are beautiful and sitting on the beach was pleasant. Not too busy the further you got away from the parking lot. Bathrooms were a little gross but had plenty of toilet paper. The camp host was super friendly and gave us a map and lots of advice. Loop trail is very easy, as is the lakeside trail. Can't wait to go back with the bikes and/or UTV.
What’s not to love about mountains, glacial lakes and ALASKA. Lots of great walking, biking and ATV trails here too. I also highly recommend staying in the Serenity Falls public use cabin. It’s a bit of a trek (12 miles each way), but so worth it.
Awesome place not far from Anchorage. Went kayaking out on the lake for a few hours. It was a bit cloudy but the views were still amazing. Walking around the lake was great too. Got a bit chilly and windy out there on the water... and the elements are definitely not for a beginner as the weather can change quickly.
Great biking trails...especially for beginners like me :D
I get a news. They say this lake can singing use by a stone. Very cooooool~~~