Eklutna Lake, Anchorage
Eklutna Lake - A Quick Overview
Address: Eklutna Lake, Anchorage, AK, USA
Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 3.9K times in trip plans
Outdoors, View Point, Family And Kids, Lake
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Eklutna Lake, Anchorage
The pristine natural treasures of Lake Eklutna are ridiculously easy to appreciate. All you need is time. The lake is about an hour’s drive north of Anchorage. Its waters are glacier fed. Activities revolve around hiking, ATVs, camping and kayaking. It’s perhaps the most tranquil of all of Anchorage’s attractions.
You may enjoy the lake in the following order of sights to see and things to do:
- Eklutna Village Historical Park: Centuries old Athabaskan Indian settlement. The St. Nicholas Church is one of the oldest buildings in the Anchorage area.
- Thunderbird Falls: just after taking the right exit from Glen’s highway into Old Glen’s Highway and right before you enter Eklutna Lake Road, there is a short trail leading to a tremendous waterfall.
- Rochelle's Ice Cream Shop: a little over a mile before you reach the parking area of the lake, you’ll find one of the cutest ice-cream parlour you’ll ever see in a blue, yellow and white building.
- Visit the Lifetime Adventure Visitor Center: They manage the camping area here. They also provided guided kayak tours, bike tours, bike rentals and kayak rentals.
- Camping Area: there are over 50 campsites with latrines, water, picnic tables and fire pits.
- Kayaking the lake: Launch your boat from the campground, head out into the middle of the lake. Fish if you feel like it.
- Eklutna Lake Trail: You can hike or bike this trail, about 10 miles long, and it takes you closer to the Eklutna Glacier. The last part of the trail goes onto glacial gravel bars and glacial debris, past steep canyons and the Glacier itself. The area is nice for skiiing in the winter.
- Hiking the Twin Peaks Trail: Steep trail leading up to a meadow with a grand sight of Twin Peaks and Goat Rock, as well as panoramas of the valley.
- Eklutna River East Fork Trail: Narrow and wild trail passing a small lake.
- Mt. Eklutna Trail: Start at Peter’s Creek Trail head, the head off onto Mt. Eklutna trail for some terrific panoramas. It’s quite far from the campsite though.
- Photograph the wildlife: Dall sheep, mountain goats, and pikas.
Eklutna Lake Information
- Lifetime adventure Visitors center: +1 (907) 746-4644
- If you here on an ATV, remember that certain trails and path are pedestrian only.
- Bush planes can land on the unpaved Bold Airstrip.
- You will need anti-bug spray.
- Only experienced climbers should try and climb the rocks up to the glacier.
Eklutna Lake Ticket Prices
- Free Visit
- $ 5 parking fee.
Lifetime Adventure Visitor Center:
- Paddle & Pedal: $85
- Full Day Guided Kayaking: Cost: $140 per person, reserve 24 hours in advance.
- Guided Bike Trip: $135 per person, reserve 24 hours in advance.
Eklutna Lake Opening and Closing Hours
Lifetime Adventure Visitor Center:
- May 22nd – September 7th
- Sunday through Friday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Saturdays: 10:00am - 8:00pm
- Closed September 8 - May 21
- All other visits by appointment only.
- Paddle & Pedal: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday: 6 hour Kayak trip beginning at 11:00am.
- Guided Bike Trip: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Rochelle’s Ice cream Restaurant: Open Mother's Day weekend through the third weekend in September. Call to see if open before your visit.
Eklutna Trail ATV access: April - November, Sunday - Wednesday only.
Camping for 15 nights max at one time.
How To reach Eklutna Lake by Public Transport
- By rented car or taxi.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Anchorage before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Anchorage and book an accommodation of your choice.
Eklutna Lake, Anchorage Reviews
This place is well worth the drive from Anchorage. Take one of the hiking trails to the north of the lake for spectacular views. You do not have to go very far to be well above the lake.
Quiet, clean, beautiful walk, short drive from Anchorage.
误打误撞进入这个景区，震撼人心！Por el mal tiempo no pudimos subir al avión para ver el parque Denali, sin embargo el lago Eklutna nos dio una gran sorpresa!!