Matthaei Botanical Gardens75 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1800 N. Dixboro Rd. Ann Arbor, MI 48105, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-7346477600
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Botanical Garden, Family And Kids
Named after Frederick C. Matthaei, Sr. and his wife Mildred who donated 200 acres for the green space, theMatthaei Botanical Gardens is part of the University of Michiganand includes a conservatory, a garden store and nature trails that coveraround 2.25 kilometres. Today, the place is an escape for bird-watchers, scientists and hikers who want to leave the city life behind and be one with nature.
Currently, the garden covers a massive 300 acresthat care for more than 100 native species of plants and also preserves natural habitats.
Highlights of the garden include:
- Alexandra Hicks Herb Knot Garden designed in Tudor Style that has a collection of herbs known for their culinary and medicinal uses.
- Spots or children that include Gaffield Children's Gardendesigned for children popular for its play areas and interactive exhibits and the Sue Reichert Discovery Trail where children can discover animal tracks and play around a willow lodge.
- The beautiful Marie Azary Rock Garden
- A Labyrinth that offers a good place to meditate and simply enjoy the silence and tranquillity of the garden.
- Helen V. Smith Woodland Wildflower Garden that is home to 100 native species of woody plants, ferns and wildflowers.
- The Urban Pocket garden that is known for its white pine trees and Kentucky Coffee trees.
- A number of trails around the park including the Dix pond trail, Marilyn Bland Prairie trail (covers wetland, historic fields, farms and barns) and Sam Graham trees trail (popular for being home to native trees of Michigan)
- A Conservatorywhich is the largest university-operated greenhouse in the country and covers an area of more than 10,000 square feet divided into three sections- Tropical house, Temperate house and Arid House.
The perennial garden that doubles as a wedding venue during Summer season is heavenly to take a walk and adds to the landscape of the botanical gardens. If you love nature, this might just be your new favourite haunt during the day!
Matthaei Botanical Gardens Travel Tips
- Wear sunscreen and comfortable shoes.
- Carry bottled drinking water.
Entrance Ticket Details For Matthaei Botanical Gardens
- Admission to the garden, conservatory, and nature walking trails is free of cost.
- Parking cost is USD 1.60 per hours, USD 5 per day
Matthaei Botanical Gardens Hours
- Trails: Open daily sunrise to sunset.
How to Reach Matthaei Botanical Gardens
- By Bus: East Ann Arbor Health & Geriatrics Center (3 kilometres away)
- By Taxi
- By Walking
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ann Arbor before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ann Arbor and book an accommodation of your choice.