Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence AntiqueCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Avenue 1ere division de la France libre, presqu'ile du cirque romain, 13635 Arles cedex, France
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-413315103
- Ticket Price: 8 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Museum, History Museum, Observatory, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Specialty Museum
Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique - Review
The rich history of the small city of Arles has been remarkably recorded with great care in this famous museum. Built in 1995, the modern and lovely cobalt-blue building of the museum is a beauty in itself. It stands proudly at the edge of what used to be the Roman Chariot Racing Track.
- The Musee de l'Arles et de la Provence Antique is home to a number of striking Roman sculptures and a large collection of other antiquities.
- The museum also houses a huge compilation of Christian and Pagan art. This compilation includes absolutely stunning mosaics.
- A major attraction at the museum these days is the recently discovered ancient boat, known as the Arles Rhone 3, which is known to be about 2000 years old.
- The museum provides a wonderful view of the Chariot Track and the shape of the museum.
The museum can be visited per your choice in two ways:
- Chronologically, running from Prehistory, 2500 B.C. situated at the entrance stretching to the end of Antiquity, 6th century towards the exit.
- Thematically, corresponding to the characteristics of the museum's various collections such as daily life, trade, the economy, embellishments.
Preserving history with great charm seems to be the style of Musee de l'Arles et de la Provence Antique which the elegant and spacious building seems to follow through and through.
Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique Ticket Prices
- €5: reduced price.
- Free admission every first Sunday of the month.
- Free admission for under 18.
Restaurants Near Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique
- Cuisine du Comptoir
- Eurl Mazin Fabien
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Arles before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Arles and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique
83.52% of people who visit Arles include Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
78.26% of people start their Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique
Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique Trips
1 View12 Days 11 Nights12 Day Trip to Carcassonne, Arles, Aix-en-provence, Antibes from SolihullBy: Guest UserCity: Carcassonne, Arles, Aix-en-provence, Antibes
Musee De L'arles Et De La Provence Antique, Arles Reviews
Vast collection of Roman artifacts. Found the model of Roman structures helpful in visualizing the time then. The Arles Rhone 3 (ancient boat) exhibit was well designed and the video gave a lot of context. Definitely worth a visit
Our family loved this museum. Small but excellent artefacts.
Great for kids (and adults as well!) thanks to an interactive guide loaded onto tablets that takes kids around specific exhibits in the museum (but in French only.)
Arles Museum of Antiquity: where a bust is falsely presented as representing Caesar (after the international academic community have continuously discredited such claim as baseless publicity), where they rattle on about the “foundation of the city by Caesar” (when it was by one of his generals) and where staff shout out to each other to PUSH visitors out 5 minutes before closure. The pleasure was mine!
Very good museum if you are interested in old Roman naval history. Artefacts are very well presented.