California Living Museum35 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 10500 Alfred Harrell Hwy, Bakersfield, CA 93306, USA, United States
- Timings: 09:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6618722256
- Ticket Price: 10 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Zoo, Family And Kids
California Area Living Museum is home to more than 250 animals (about 80 species)- all of whom are either accustomed to people caring for them or simply who have physical disabilities and cannot survive in the wild anymore. The place also cares for endangered flora and fauna species while giving emphasis to the native species. Seeing the rare bighorn sheep here is an experience in itself. These sheep are reared with the assistance of the Los Angeles and San Diego Zoos. The spacious 14 acres of the zoo, make it a lovely place to take a leisurely walk.
The “Cats of California” exhibit is a favourite among visitors that includes mountain lions and bobcats. The zoo is also home to owls, snakes, bears, various species of foxes, deer and a number of domestic animals.
Other highlights include:
- Black bear exhibit
- The waterfowl pond where you can see migratory birds.
- The underground reptile house
- “Trees of California” exhibit that showcases native plants
- Christmas season special “Holiday Lights at CALM” when the entire zoo is decorated with lights.
- Railroad for children that contains replicas of Dinosaurs.
The best part about the zoo is that there is something for every animal lover here. The children love to pet the animals in the domestic animal section while the programs arranged here, give you a brief about the fossils, plants and all living things in California.
California Living Museum Travel Tips
- Do not try to feed the animals or disturb them in any way.
Entrance Ticket Details For California Living Museum
- Adults – USD 10
- Seniors (60+) – USD 7
- Children (3-12 years) – USD 5
- Children under 3 years – Free
- Military/Veterans (w/ID) – Free
Group rates are available with a minimum 1-2 week advanced reservation for groups of 20+
How to Reach California Living Museum
- By Bus: Miramonte Dr. at Hwy. 178 (6.44 kilometers away)
- By renting a car/ bike
- By Taxi
- By taking a cab
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bakersfield before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bakersfield and book an accommodation of your choice.