Crater Lake Trail191 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Colorado 81611, USA, Aspen, United States
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: 6 USD
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Trail, Family And Kids
The 1.8-mile dirt and rock section from Maroon Lake to the Crater Lake is the known as the Crater Lake Trail. This trail passes through aspen groves and rock formations to reach the Crater Lake. This moderately difficult trek is a very popular spot for hikers visiting Aspen. The trail originates near the Maroon Lake parking area. Once you cross the groves and the scree fields, you will come across the rock garden. From here begins the descent to the Crater Lake. Some gaps in the vegetation along this trail will allow you to glimpse the West Maroon Creek and the valley floor. You can camp overnight at the lake in summer.
Crater Lake Trail Travel Tips
- Dogs must be kept on leash on this trail.
- Private vehicles are not allowed access on the Maroon Creek Road from 8.30am to 5pm. You will have to catch the shuttle from Rubey Park in Aspen.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes for the trail.
- Overnight campers need prior registration at the Trailhead.
- Be careful when navigating the rocky areas.
How to Reach Crater Lake Trail
- You can hire a car or take a bus to get here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Aspen before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Aspen and book an accommodation of your choice.
16.71% of people who visit Aspen include Crater Lake Trail in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
52.38% of people start their Crater Lake Trail visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Crater Lake Trail
92.31% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Crater Lake Trail