Elephantine IslandCurrently Open
- Address: Elephantine Island, Aswan Egypt
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: 25 EGP
- Time Required: 06:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Island, Family And Kids, Neighborhoods
Elephantine Island - Review
This is the oldest inhabited area of the region, deicated once upin a time to the ram-headed god Khnum. The northern end of the island is taken up by the Moevenpick Resort. The rest of the island offers two Nubian Villages, Aswan Museum and some ruins.
- Nubian Village: Siou and Koti are the two villages on this island. The villagers are quite aware they are part of a tourist attraction and will go out of their way to make you feel hospitable. The shops here are pretty commonplace; you’ll find them even in the town, but the true sights here are the living traditions of the Nubian people. It’s colorful and unique and you should not be surprised to see baby crocs running about. They are kept as pets upto a certain age. If your boat pilot has a house on the island, he will typically invite you in for mead; accept. Tip them. They might even call you into a school to learn a bit of the local lingo.
- Aswan Museum: Features Nubian artefacts saved during the construction of the Aswan Dam. Opened in 1912, the museum underwent extensions in the 1990’s, and now houses utensils, pottery, weapons and mummies. South of the museum you’ll fing the ruins of Abu, an ancient city on which excavations are still happening. Best thing to see at the runes is Nilometer, and ingenious ancient device to measure the river water levels during the flood season. It was a supremely important tool. The Nilometer here, at the border of Ancient Egypt was the place in the Empire where the annual flooding was first detected every year.
Elephantine Island Information
- All ticket prices given are for the Museum.
- Bring small gifts to give to children and people you interact with – candy and stationery are perfect.
- You cannot access the restaurants overland from the south end of the islands. You’ll have to have a boat take you there.
Elephantine Island Ticket Prices
- 15 LE for Student entry into the museum.
How To reach Elephantine Island by Public Transport
- Boat taxis run to Elephantine Island. Put money in the box rather than paying to the ticket agent Or you might want to take a felluca.
Restaurants Near Elephantine Island
- Nybian Dream Restaurants and Cafe
- Art Cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Aswan before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Aswan and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Elephantine Island
61.4% of people who visit Aswan include Elephantine Island in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
36.54% of people start their Elephantine Island visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 6 Hrs to see Elephantine Island
82.69% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Elephantine Island
Elephantine Island Trips
Elephantine Island, Aswan Reviews
Elephantine Island is a very raw island. People in the island is very nice!
i love it
My beloved Nubian village
Probably the greenest village in Aswan
Très Belle île qui contraste avec l' autre rive avec son village typique. On peut même y visiter l' école. Dommage qu' on est autorisé la construction du Movenpick qui défigure complètement cette île