Temple Of Isis At PhilaeCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Island of Agilika, Aswan, Egypt
- Timings: 07:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 50 EGP
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids, Architecture , Unesco Site
Temple Of Isis At Philae - Review
Philae is actually the island that the temple USED to reside on. The construction of the Aswan Dam led to the island’s flooding, so the UNESCO had the whole complex relocated to the Agilkia Island nearby.
The temple here is dedicated to Isis, the goddess of motherhood, magic and fertility, and to her love for Osiris. Compared to most Egyptian god and goddesses, Philae was actually being worshipped quite recently upto to the 6th century A.D! And no wonder during the height of Roman power, she was the greatest of Egyptian gods, her influence reaching all the way to Britain. During the reign of Emperor Justinian, the temple was used as a church. Over the centuries, Early Christians (who carved crosses into the walls) and Muslims damaged much of the temple.
At the island, you’ll see the main temple with it’s 1st Pylon (a monumental gateway of two truncated pyramidal towers) and a forecourt to the 2nd Pylon which leads into the Hypostyle Hall and also the very first chapel dedicated to Isis. Other monuments to see include The Kiosk of Trajan, the Chapel of Osiris, The Temple of Horus, The Temple of Hathor, The Gateway of Tiberius, the Gateway of Diocletian, and the Temple of Augustus.
At night, you’ll be able to see a fantastic sound and light show the spectacle immerses you in the environment of the Temple; a voice set to music narrates the story if Isis and Osiris. It’s usually held twice an evening, and in multiple languages (at least once in English).
Temple Of Isis At Philae Information
- A visit here can be combined with a visit to the Highdam and the Unfinished Obelisk.
- It’s best to take a guided tour the locals are incredibly well informed about the place and will narrate the legends of Osiris and Isis to you.
- Wait for other passengers to show up so you all can share the ride.
- The guards will photobomb you.
- Tickets to the temple are located at the entrance to the pier before the boat ride. You will have to buy the temple ticket before you can haggle with boatsmen. Boats men will attempt to charge about LE 50 per person. Bargain hard and dribve the price down to LE 40 at least.
Temple Of Isis At Philae Ticket Prices
- 75 LE for the sound and light show at Philae.
Temple Of Isis At Philae Opening and Closing Hours
- The Sound and Light Show at 6.30pm, 7.45pm, 9pm (Summer) and at 9pm, 8.15pm, 9.30pm (Winter).
How To reach Temple Of Isis At Philae by Public Transport
- You will have to get a driver from town to get you here, wait for you and then take you back to town. This should cost you about LE 50.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Aswan before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Aswan and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Temple Of Isis At Philae
90.9% of people who visit Aswan include Temple Of Isis At Philae in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
51.56% of people start their Temple Of Isis At Philae visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Temple Of Isis At Philae
93.09% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Temple Of Isis At Philae
Temple Of Isis At Philae Map
Temple Of Isis At Philae Trips
1 View16 Days 15 Nights16 Day Trip to Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Alexandria, ShBy: Guest UserCity: Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor, Aswan, Sharm El-sheikh
2 Views11 Days 10 Nights11 Day Trip to Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Alexandria froBy: Guest UserCity: Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Alexandria