Visit Athens - Best of Athens
The largest city and the capital of Greece, Athens is an enchanting place with a glorious history. Arguably the motherland of western civilization, Athens is one of the world’s oldest cities. Spread across the city, you will find lots of ruins and archaeological excavation sites on your Athens trip. It is said that the city has been constantly inhabited for 7000 years and even though modernization has seeped it’s way through, the culture of this city still remains as intact as ever.
The city of Athens has the most important archaeological monuments of the country and most of them are associated with Greek Mythology. These include the Acropolis, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus, Olymbion, the Temple of Posedion, Theatre of Dionysus and the Roman Market. Donot forget to visit each of them and explore Greek Mythology in a way that you would remember forever. Even though its history is its most prominent feature, Athens is not only about archaeological ruins. Athens has a vibrant nightlife and is the perfect place even for people who want to visit only high end shopping destinations.
Geographically speaking, Athens is surrounded by Mount Parnitha, Mount Aegaleo, Mount Hymettus, Mount Penteli and the Saronic Gulf in the southwest. The city extends itself over 2,928 kilometers² of land. River Ilissus flows through Athens and was the initial reason of civilization. All of these features are the reason why the city rates so high in terms of beautiful views and landscapes.
One marvellous thing about Athens is its architecture and how different the cityscape looks. You will find ancient structures and ruins right next to modern glass buildings and malls. You will yourself realize that Athens is the perfect blend of history and civilization with contemporary lifestyle. All in all, Athens offers you the best of both the worlds and you should definitely include it in your list of places to be at! Each one of you should visit Athens at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Athens.
Athens Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Athens tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Athens follows the Eastern European Time Zone.UTC+02:00
- Currency: Euro (€)
Electricity and Internet
- Electricity in Greece is 230 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. If you travel to Greece with a device that does not accept 230 Volts at 50 Hertz, you will need a voltage converter.
- Athenswifi operates in the center of Athens, specifically in the areas of Syntagma Square, Thission and Kotzia Square.
- The speed is very fast as each region is connected to the internet on a 4Mbps line.
- The official language of Athens is Greek with most population speaking Greek.
- Other languages that people here speak are German, English, French, Italian and Spanish.
Emergency Contact numbers:
- Medical Emergency: 112
- Fire Service: 199
- Ambulance service: 166
- Police: 100
- SOS Doctors: 10 16
- Tourist Police: 171
- Coast Guard: 108
- Special Violent Crime Squad: 1014
- All streets in Athens are safe but watch out for pick pockets in crowded areas.
- An additional tip is not obligatory, but it is common to round off the amount, especially when paying in cash.
- In general, a 10 to 15% tip is usually sufficient.
- Some restaurant owners do not allow staff to keep the tips. Check with the staff first if they keep them or not.
- Check the bill always as most restaurants hike it up because most people do not check.
- Stay away from girls in the bar as you can end up with a hefty bill.
- Visit Acropolis before visiting museums as you get a free pass after paying the fees.
- Touts: A good rule of thumb is to avoid restaurants that employ touts. The same goes for people selling tours of Greek islands - they’ll do their best to pressure you into signing up, but you’ll nearly always get a better deal by paying when you get to the island you’re going to.
- The dressing is casual but you need to wear proper clothes to church and Monasteries.
Are you looking for a Athens travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Athens Tourist Information
Athens Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Athens
Athens Scenic Bike Tour46 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs
See the sights of Athens in this fun and easy 9km journey by bike. This 3.5 hour tour cycles at a nice, relaxed pace on quiet...Book Now
Save 7%Hidden Athens Walking Tour and Picnic: Plaka and the Hills of Athens131 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs 30 Mins
Escape the buzz of downtown Athens and head to its peaceful hills for a 3.5-hour leisurely paced walking tour, finishing with...
Save 7%Acropolis of Athens Segway Tour47 Reviews
Duration: 2 Hrs
Discover the Acropolis of Athens by Segway on this 2-hour tour, led by a local guide! On your self-balancing electric Segway,...
Save 10%2-Day Trip to Delphi and Meteora from Athens455 Reviews
Duration: 2 Days
Visit Ancient Delphi and Meteora, two legendary UNESCO World Heritage sites, on a 2-day tour from Athens! With an expert guid...
Popular Hotels in AthensView all Hotels in Athens
More about Athens
Free Wi-Fi Spots In Athens
- Athens is not just the capital of Greece but also the heart of ancient Greek. Athens offers many places where you can access free WiFi. Read more to know about the free WiFi spots in the city.
- Drapetsona Tourism
- Limni Vouliagmenis Tourism
- Delphi Tourism
- Glifa Tourism
- Tinos Tourism
- Mykonos Tourism
- Kentro Tourism
- Imerovigli Tourism
- Santorini Tourism
- Tyrnavos Tourism
- Lesbos Tourism
- Chania Tourism
Facts and Stats for Athens*
Pollution Statistics in Athens
Know the pollution level of Athens before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 57.43 (Moderate)
Water Pollution 30.95 (Low)
Noise and Light Pollution 57.8 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 66.62 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 19.04 (Very Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 65.41 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 43.5 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 75.87 (High)
Athens: Crime and Safety
How safe is Athens for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Athens.
Burglary and Theft 53.3 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 46.88 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 41.84 (Moderate)
Corruption and Bribery 74.62 (High)
Car Stealing 37.5 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 55.36 (Moderate)
Attacks 39.56 (Low)
Drug offense 54.15 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 79.43 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 47.18 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 33.21 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 29.87 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 55.41 (Moderate)
Living in Athens - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Athens is 124.68 (High)
Safety Index 51.32 (Moderate)
Climate Index 95.22 (Very High)
Pollution Index 58.94 (Moderate)
Traffic Commute Time Index 37.3 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 61.21 (Low)
Health Care Index 53.29 (Moderate)
Property Price to Income Ratio 10.67 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 51.75 (Low)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Athens
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Athens
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.48 USD
International Movie per seat 9.38 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 35.19 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 95.2 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 86.69 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.