Visit Athens - Best of Athens
The largest city and the capital of Greece, Athens is an enchanting place with a glorious history. Arguably the motherland of western civilization, Athens is one of the world’s oldest cities. Spread across the city, you will find lots of ruins and archaeological excavation sites on your Athens trip. It is said that the city has been constantly inhabited for 7000 years and even though modernization has seeped it’s way through, the culture of this city still remains as intact as ever.
The city of Athens has the most important archaeological monuments of the country and most of them are associated with Greek Mythology. These include the Acropolis, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus, Olymbion, the Temple of Posedion, Theatre of Dionysus and the Roman Market. Donot forget to visit each of them and explore Greek Mythology in a way that you would remember forever. Even though its history is its most prominent feature, Athens is not only about archaeological ruins. Athens has a vibrant nightlife and is the perfect place even for people who want to visit only high end shopping destinations.
Geographically speaking, Athens is surrounded by Mount Parnitha, Mount Aegaleo, Mount Hymettus, Mount Penteli and the Saronic Gulf in the southwest. The city extends itself over 2,928 kilometers² of land. River Ilissus flows through Athens and was the initial reason of civilization. All of these features are the reason why the city rates so high in terms of beautiful views and landscapes.
One marvellous thing about Athens is its architecture and how different the cityscape looks. You will find ancient structures and ruins right next to modern glass buildings and malls. You will yourself realize that Athens is the perfect blend of history and civilization with contemporary lifestyle. All in all, Athens offers you the best of both the worlds and you should definitely include it in your list of places to be at! Each one of you should visit Athens at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Athens.
Athens Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Athens tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Athens follows the Eastern European Time Zone.UTC+02:00
- Currency: Euro (€)
Electricity and Internet
- Electricity in Greece is 230 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. If you travel to Greece with a device that does not accept 230 Volts at 50 Hertz, you will need a voltage converter.
- Athenswifi operates in the center of Athens, specifically in the areas of Syntagma Square, Thission and Kotzia Square.
- The speed is very fast as each region is connected to the internet on a 4Mbps line.
- The official language of Athens is Greek with most population speaking Greek.
- Other languages that people here speak are German, English, French, Italian and Spanish.
Emergency Contact numbers:
- Medical Emergency: 112
- Fire Service: 199
- Ambulance service: 166
- Police: 100
- SOS Doctors: 10 16
- Tourist Police: 171
- Coast Guard: 108
- Special Violent Crime Squad: 1014
- All streets in Athens are safe but watch out for pick pockets in crowded areas.
- An additional tip is not obligatory, but it is common to round off the amount, especially when paying in cash.
- In general, a 10 to 15% tip is usually sufficient.
- Some restaurant owners do not allow staff to keep the tips. Check with the staff first if they keep them or not.
- Check the bill always as most restaurants hike it up because most people do not check.
- Stay away from girls in the bar as you can end up with a hefty bill.
- Visit Acropolis before visiting museums as you get a free pass after paying the fees.
- Touts: A good rule of thumb is to avoid restaurants that employ touts. The same goes for people selling tours of Greek islands - they’ll do their best to pressure you into signing up, but you’ll nearly always get a better deal by paying when you get to the island you’re going to.
- The dressing is casual but you need to wear proper clothes to church and Monasteries.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Athens and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Athens- Know before you go to Athens
Facts and Stats for Athens*
Pollution Statistics in Athens
Know the pollution level of Athens before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 60.66 (High)
Water Pollution 33.59 (Low)
Noise and Light Pollution 58.83 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 68.05 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 20.49 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 66.48 (High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 48.5 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 78.2 (High)
Athens: Crime and Safety
How safe is Athens for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Athens.
Burglary and Theft 53.9 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 47.16 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 42.76 (Moderate)
Corruption and Bribery 75.27 (High)
Car Stealing 38.74 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 56.87 (Moderate)
Attacks 40.9 (Moderate)
Drug offense 54.8 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 78.94 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 46.07 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 34.33 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 32.08 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 56.25 (Moderate)
Living in Athens - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Athens is 121.17 (High)
Safety Index 50.6 (Moderate)
Climate Index 95.22 (Very High)
Pollution Index 62.16 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 37.55 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 65.54 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 51.19 (Moderate)
Property Price to Income Ratio 10.74 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 52.93 (Low)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Athens
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Athens
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.41 USD
International Movie per seat 9.69 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 38.39 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 100.25 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 91.95 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Athens Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Athens
Athens Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Athens
83 Reviews Duration: 3 Hrs
See the sights of Athens in this 9km journey by bike. Go back in time and learn about Greece's capital from a local's point o...
USD 44.2Book Now
126 Reviews Duration: 3 Hrs 30 Mins
Escape the buzz of downtown Athens and head to its peaceful hills for a 3.5-hour leisurely paced walking tour, finishing with...
USD 63.14Book Now
44 Reviews Duration: 2 Hrs
Discover the Acropolis of Athens by Segway on this 2-hour tour, led by a local guide! On your self-balancing electric Segway,...
USD 74.5Book Now
15 Reviews Duration: 4 Hrs
Join our half day tour to Cape Sounion and experience a breathtaking sunset at the unique temple of Poseidon, the G...
USD 71.97Book Now
- Cities Near Athens
- Megalopolis Tourism
- Attiki, Athens Tourism
- Melissia Tourism
- Istiaia Tourism
- Thrakomakedones Tourism
- Aspropyrgos Tourism
- Tyrnavos Tourism
- Kato Achaia Tourism
- Arnaia Tourism
- Sikinos Tourism
- Mesa Katikies Tourism
- Grevena Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Indianola Tourism
- Seaside Tourism
- Rabat Tourism
- Owen Sound Tourism
- Mgarr Tourism
- Lafayette Tourism
- Manado Tourism
- Evadale Tourism
- Passau Tourism
- Yorkville Tourism