Erechtheion13652 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Erechtheion, Acropolis, Athens, Greece
- Timings: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +30-2109238724
- Ticket Price: 12 EUR
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Another testament to the astonishing architecture of the Ancient Greeks, the Erechtheion was built as a supplementary temple to the Parthenon in 420 BC. What strikes the visitor regarding its structure is its facade which consists of pillars built in the shape of women. At the time when this temple was built, the eastern part of it was dedicated to Athena, whilst the western part was dedicated to local hero Boutes, Hephaistos and other gods and heroes. Housing the older and newer cults, this temple became a unique structure in itself. This temple also houses the site of the ‘Sacred Tokens’, the marks made by Poseidon’s trident and the olive tree, the gift of Athena to the city of Athens.
The carving on the numerous pillars is something that is worth careful scrutiny. The symmetry, detail and perfection managed by the craftsmen are worth noting. This structure might seem like just any other ruin but if you look at it closely enough, you shall be able to see its original architectural brilliance. The strength of its architecture is equally commendable. It was built on uneven ground and yet the Greeks were able to build a wonderful foundation. Not a site to miss!
Re-live the good old times and know about the Greek culture during your Athens trip by visiting the iconic Erechtheion. A supplementary temple to the Parthenon and built in 420 BC, this ancient structure is attracting tourists from across the globe, since decades. The best way to explore this attraction is by getting the Erechtheion tickets from the ticket counter. If you want to ditch the line, then you can book the Erechtheion tickets, well in advance. You can also book the Erechtheion tour tickets to get a guided tour of the attraction. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Athens itinerary 1 day.
Erechtheion Travel Tips
- On some holidays the places closes at 3:00 pm, Please check while visiting.
- You can take a combined ticket for all the archeologically important sights and it will prove to be a much cheaper option.
- Ticket price is given in case you want to see only this attraction.
- This site comes under the Acropolis area so you need not pay extra if you’ve bought the Acropolis ticket.
Entrance Ticket Details For Erechtheion
- Reduced ticket price for Greek citizens: Euros 6
- Ticket is valid (for 48hrs) for Acropolis Museum, Acropolis of Athens, Ancient Agora of Athens, Archaeological Museum of Kerameikos, Kerameikos, Museum of the Ancient Agora, North slope of Acropolis, Olympieio, Roman Agora of Athens and South Slope of Acropolis.
How to Reach Erechtheion
- Acropolis Station: Metro
- Fresko Yoghurt Bar
- Pure Bliss
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Athens before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Athens and book an accommodation of your choice.
92.51% of people who visit Athens include Erechtheion in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
47.67% of people start their Erechtheion visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Erechtheion
53.47% of people prefer walking in order to reach Erechtheion