How to Reach Athens, Greece
The Easiest Way to Reach Athens
HOW TO GET TO ATHENS
- By Air: Flights to Athens disembark at the Athens Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport which is basically the main Airport of Athens. From the airport, one can board a metro, a suburban train or hire a taxi and reach the city centre.
- By Train: The railway network in Greece is not so well connected. Compared to other European cities, the railway connectivity in the country is poor. It is better to avoid Trains unless there is no other option at all.
- By Boat: Pireaeus is a major port and is situated close to the city. Cruises, boats and ferries halt at the port. The drive from here is roughly of about 20 minutes of 12 kilometers to be approximate to the main city of Athens.
- By Bus: Busses and regional coaches connect Athens to nearby cities and towns.
HOW TO GET AROUND ATHENS
- By Metro: The metro system in Athens is one of the best in the world. Connecting north to south and east to west, almost all the localities and tourist attractions of Athens are connected by the metro.
- By Bus: Having a good network of bus stops, the city of Athens has busses that run on diesel, natural gas and electric trolley busses.
- By Suburban Train: The train connects the city airport to the city centre.
- By Car: Renting a car is possible. However, it proves to be costly. Public transport is more economic.
- By Taxi: Reasonably priced, taxis are present in the city.
- By Tram: The newly introduced tram system connects the city centre to the southern suburbs of Athens.
- By Walk: Walking is the best way to explore central Athens.
Are you looking for a Athens travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Athens
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Athens. The most preferred mode of transport in Athens is Car.
Average distance: 12.95 km Average time: 37.6 min
Car 41.77%Driving 32.95 min Walking 0.86 min Motorbike 0.45 min Overall average time for 17.04 kms 34.27 min
Train/Metro 14.56%Train 27.43 min Waiting 9.7 min Walking 8.17 min Bus 5.78 min Other 1.3 min Driving 1.3 min Tram 0.57 min Overall average time for 15.77 kms 54.26 min
Motorbike 8.23%Motorbike 19.38 min Walking 0.08 min Overall average time for 13.35 kms 19.46 min
Tram/Streetcar 0.63%Tram 28 min Waiting 10 min Walking 4 min Overall average time for 5 kms 42 min
Walking 18.99%Walking 29.9 min Driving 2.8 min Motorbike 2 min Train 1.47 min Waiting 0.57 min Overall average time for 4.8 kms 36.73 min
Bus/Trolleybus 10.13%Bus 24.31 min Waiting 10.69 min Train 7.88 min Walking 7.25 min Tram 0.31 min Other 0.31 min Overall average time for 9.85 kms 50.75 min
Bike 1.9%Bike 12.33 min Overall average time for 5.2 kms 12.33 min
How to Reach Athens from Nearby Cities
|Piraeus to Athens||12.95 km||32 mins|
|Nea Erythraia to Athens||14.98 km||14 mins|
- How to reach Petroupoli
- How to reach Drapetsona
- How to reach Elliniko
- How to reach Delphi
- How to reach Tinos
- How to reach Ornos
- How to reach Mykonos
- How to reach Imerovigli
- How to reach Santorini
- How to reach Kassiopi
- How to reach Chania
- How to reach Sidari
- How to reach Lindos
- How to reach Corfu
- How to reach Agios Georgios