How to Reach Athens
How to reach Athens
HOW TO GET TO ATHENS
- By Air: Flights to Athens disembark at the Athens Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport which is basically the main Airport of Athens. From the airport, one can board a metro, a suburban train or hire a taxi and reach the city centre.
- By Train: The railway network in Greece is not so well connected. Compared to other European cities, the railway connectivity in the country is poor. It is better to avoid Trains unless there is no other option at all.
- By Boat: Pireaeus is a major port and is situated close to the city. Cruises, boats and ferries halt at the port. The drive from here is roughly of about 20 minutes of 12 kilometers to be approximate to the main city of Athens.
- By Bus: Busses and regional coaches connect Athens to nearby cities and towns.
HOW TO GET AROUND ATHENS
- By Metro: The metro system in Athens is one of the best in the world. Connecting north to south and east to west, almost all the localities and tourist attractions of Athens are connected by the metro.
- By Bus: Having a good network of bus stops, the city of Athens has busses that run on diesel, natural gas and electric trolley busses.
- By Suburban Train: The train connects the city airport to the city centre.
- By Car: Renting a car is possible. However, it proves to be costly. Public transport is more economic.
- By Taxi: Reasonably priced, taxis are present in the city.
- By Tram: The newly introduced tram system connects the city centre to the southern suburbs of Athens.
- By Walk: Walking is the best way to explore central Athens.
Modes of Transportation in Athens
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Athens. The most preferred mode of transport in Athens is Car.
Average distance: 13.38 km Average time: 37.75 min
Car 40.98%Driving 34.34 min Walking 0.74 min Motorbike 0.6 min Overall average time for 17.88 kms 35.68 min
Train/Metro 14.75%Train 27.22 min Waiting 10.39 min Walking 7.94 min Bus 6.72 min Other 1.67 min Driving 1.67 min Tram 0.72 min Overall average time for 16.03 kms 56.33 min
Motorbike 8.2%Motorbike 20 min Walking 0.1 min Overall average time for 14.36 kms 20.1 min
Walking 19.67%Walking 26.63 min Driving 3.08 min Motorbike 1.67 min Train 1.21 min Waiting 0.58 min Overall average time for 4.8 kms 33.17 min
Bus/Trolleybus 10.66%Bus 23 min Waiting 9.69 min Walking 7 min Train 6 min Tram 0.38 min Other 0.38 min Overall average time for 9.12 kms 46.46 min
Bike 0.82%Bike 18 min Overall average time for 4.6 kms 18 min