Kaisariani Monastery730 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Mount Ymittos – Kaisariani, 16121 Athens – Kaisariani, Greece
- Timings: 08:30 am - 03:00 pm Details
- Phone: +30-2107236619
- Ticket Price: 2 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Family And Kids, Monastery
Built in the 11th AD, the Kaisariani Monastery is situated on the slopes of Mount Hymettos, around 5 kilometres from the city of Athens. The Monastery has an interesting history. The monastery was built over the ruins of a Roman temple which in turn was built over an ancient Greek one. Four columns of the ancient temple have survived and to this day support the dome of the monastery's church. The monastery walls are covered with 16th century paintings and frescoes. Around the courtyard on the monastery, one can find a mill, a bakery, a cafeteria and a bathhouse. The Kaisariani Monastery is also a starting point for hikes on Mount Hymettos.
Kaisariani Monastery Travel Tips
- Approximately 3 kilometres of walking is required from the nearest bus stop to the Monastery.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- It is still an active place of worship, dress appropriately.
- Cafe in the premises of the Monastery.
Entrance Ticket Details For Kaisariani Monastery
- General Admission: €2/ €4
- Reduced Ticket Price: Euro 1
- Free for people less than 18 years.
How to Reach Kaisariani Monastery
- Bus stop: Kaisariani cemetery
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Athens before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Athens and book an accommodation of your choice.
5.04% of people who visit Athens include Kaisariani Monastery in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
76.79% of people start their Kaisariani Monastery visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Kaisariani Monastery
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Kaisariani Monastery