Are you looking for what to do in Athens?
PLACES TO SEE
- The Acropolis: This magnificent site is what most people come to Athens to see. The Parthenon is one of the most photographed sites in Greece, and is synonymous withAthens. Tickets to the Acropolis and Parthenon also include entry to the Temple of Dionysos, the Ancient Agora and the Roman Agora, and several other notable sights. It’s a must-do.
- National Archaeological Museum: This outstanding museum houses a vast collection of classical sculptures and frescoes. There are thousands of pieces in the museum’s collection, including ancient Greek, Mycaenean and Egyptian collections.
- Foundation for the Hellenic World: This is a futuristic museum with plenty of interactive exhibits. There’s a time machine experience, and you will travel around a recreated Ancient Agora. This attraction is perfect for older children.
- Plakia: This is one of the most tourist-friendly districts in Athens. It’s close to the Parthenon, and there are plenty of cafes, restaurants and souvenir shops. It’s a good district to stay in too, although book in advance in the summer.
- Astir Beach: This is the glitziest of Athens’ beaches, and has a correspondingly high charge to gain entry – E25 at the weekends. However, once you’re in, there are plenty of water sports on offer, as well as the beach itself.
- Thisio: This area is noted for its bohemian spirit, and you’ll find plenty of off-beat bars and cafes. As with everywhere in Athens, bars come and go – head to the Iraklidon pedestrian area to see which establishments look busy.
- Exharia: This area is popular with young people; come here for a lively drinking experience. Mesolongiou is popular with students, which means its bars are both vibrant and cheap.
THINGS TO DO:
- Explore Greek Mythology: Athens is one of the main hubs of Greek Mythology and you can learn about it as much as you can through different museums, statues as the Mythology is actually pretty interesting!
- Explore the Night Life: The Night life of Athens is quite lively and vibrant. The city is safe and you can definitely try out some of the clubs at night.
Below we have a list of things to do in Athens and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Athens getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Athens with confidence.