Auckland is surrounded by beautiful beaches, uninhabited islands volcanic cones. Did you know that, according to a myth, Auckland was created during the battle between two iwi (tribes)? The fierce battle created deep cracks in the earth, thrusting upwards the many volcanic cones one sees today around Auckland.The city is bustling with world-class shopping centres, restaurants, bars, art galleries wine districts, rainforests and a lot more. Each one of you should visit Auckland at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best timet o visit Auckland.
Largest urban area of New Zealand, Auckland has also got names like ' a maiden sought by hundred lovers', thanks to its natural beauty. Once a base against the Maori Kong Movement, Auckland, today is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country. Urban landscapes, harbours, rivers, gulfs and a good number of ethnic groups, visiting Auckland is one of its kind experience. Also known as the City of Sails, there are plenty of yatch clubs in Auckland that'll keep you hooked. Horse and greyhound racing, rugby and cricket matches, events celebrating different ethnicities, Auckland hosts them all. So, if you want to opt for a destination which is not your mainstream one and want to explore the underrated one, then opt go with Auckland. It's pretty sure that you'll never get disappointed.
Essential travel information and Auckland tips for your visit
- Auckland Time Zone: NZDT (New Zealand Daylight Time) (GMT+13:00)
- Currency: New Zealand Dollar
- Electricity: US uses 230/240 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as power. Plug sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type I) and grounded 3 pin connections (Type I)
- Languages: Majority of the people in New Zealand speak English. Other languages spoken in the city include Samoan, Hindi, Northern Chinese (including Mandarin) and French.
- Internet: 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. The city also has public Wi-Fi in some areas.
- Security: Police: 111, Ambulance: 111, Fire: 111
- Auckland City Hospital: 09 367 0000
- Tipping – Tips are not expected for normal services in New Zealand. However, if you are satisfied with the service and you wish to tip, you can tip about 5% to 10% of the bill.
- Do not smoke in public. Smoking is banned in pubs, restaurants, public transport and public buildings.
- Do not wrap your gifts in red. Red is a taboo colour in New Zealand.
- Do not tough the head or hair of other people. It is considered as an insult.
- The word “Kiwi” is not an offensive name when referring to New Zealanders. Infect it is the norm there.
- Don’t fret too much about the rain. It’s not worth waiting for the rain to stop before you head out.
- Carry a sunscreen along. There is a high likelihood of severe sunburns on exposure to the sun for too long. Remember t carry sunscreen.
- Do not go alone for late night walks. Alcohol abuse and unpleasant interactions are not common but are possible.
- Do not leave your valuables in the car. Keep them in a safe place.
- Pickpockets are often attracted to crowded places. Be aware of someone who bumps, shoves or gets too close.
- Do not leave any articles such as phones, purses and wallets unattended.
- Select sightseeing companies and guides carefully. Make sure they are legitimate. Check with your hotel staff for recommendations.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Auckland
Save 7%Auckland City Highlights, Afternoon Beach & Rainforest Tour
8 Hrs 30 Mins50 Reviews
Save 7%Bay of Islands: Full Day Tour from Auckland
12 Hrs164 Reviews
Save 7%Hobbiton Movie Set and Waitomo Caves Full Day Tour departing Auckland
11 Hrs409 Reviews
Save 7%Small-Group Hobbiton Movie Set Tour from Auckland with Buffet Lunch
8 Hrs218 Reviews
Save 5%Full-Day Tour of Waiheke Island including Wine Tastings
6 Hrs6 Reviews
Save 7%Exclusive Access Lord of the Rings Hobbiton Movie Set Tour
8 Hrs57 Reviews