Visit Auckland - Best of Auckland
Auckland is surrounded by beautiful beaches, uninhabited islands volcanic cones. Did you know that, according to a myth, Auckland was created during the battle between two iwi (tribes)? The fierce battle created deep cracks in the earth, thrusting upwards the many volcanic cones one sees today around Auckland.The city is bustling with world-class shopping centres, restaurants, bars, art galleries wine districts, rainforests and a lot more. Each one of you should visit Auckland at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best timet o visit Auckland.
Largest urban area of New Zealand, Auckland has also got names like ' a maiden sought by hundred lovers', thanks to its natural beauty. Once a base against the Maori Kong Movement, Auckland, today is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country. Urban landscapes, harbours, rivers, gulfs and a good number of ethnic groups, visiting Auckland is one of its kind experience. Also known as the City of Sails, there are plenty of yatch clubs in Auckland that'll keep you hooked. Horse and greyhound racing, rugby and cricket matches, events celebrating different ethnicities, Auckland hosts them all. So, if you want to opt for a destination which is not your mainstream one and want to explore the underrated one, then opt go with Auckland. It's pretty sure that you'll never get disappointed.
Auckland Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Auckland tips for your visit
- Auckland Time Zone: NZDT (New Zealand Daylight Time) (GMT+13:00)
- Currency: New Zealand Dollar
- Electricity: US uses 230/240 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as power. Plug sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type I) and grounded 3 pin connections (Type I)
- Languages: Majority of the people in New Zealand speak English. Other languages spoken in the city include Samoan, Hindi, Northern Chinese (including Mandarin) and French.
- Internet: 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. The city also has public Wi-Fi in some areas.
- Security: Police: 111, Ambulance: 111, Fire: 111
- Auckland City Hospital: 09 367 0000
- Tipping – Tips are not expected for normal services in New Zealand. However, if you are satisfied with the service and you wish to tip, you can tip about 5% to 10% of the bill.
- Do not smoke in public. Smoking is banned in pubs, restaurants, public transport and public buildings.
- Do not wrap your gifts in red. Red is a taboo colour in New Zealand.
- Do not tough the head or hair of other people. It is considered as an insult.
- The word “Kiwi” is not an offensive name when referring to New Zealanders. Infect it is the norm there.
- Don’t fret too much about the rain. It’s not worth waiting for the rain to stop before you head out.
- Carry a sunscreen along. There is a high likelihood of severe sunburns on exposure to the sun for too long. Remember t carry sunscreen.
- Do not go alone for late night walks. Alcohol abuse and unpleasant interactions are not common but are possible.
- Do not leave your valuables in the car. Keep them in a safe place.
- Pickpockets are often attracted to crowded places. Be aware of someone who bumps, shoves or gets too close.
- Do not leave any articles such as phones, purses and wallets unattended.
- Select sightseeing companies and guides carefully. Make sure they are legitimate. Check with your hotel staff for recommendations.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Auckland and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Auckland- Know before you go to Auckland
Facts and Stats for Auckland*
Pollution Statistics in Auckland
Know the pollution level of Auckland before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 19.74 (Very Low)
Water Pollution 37.85 (Low)
Noise and Light Pollution 36.27 (Low)
Unattended dirt and garbage 29.51 (Low)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 18.75 (Very Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 25.7 (Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 20 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 14.58 (Very Low)
Auckland: Crime and Safety
How safe is Auckland for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Auckland.
Burglary and Theft 51.47 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 41.96 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 44.21 (Moderate)
Corruption and Bribery 23.27 (Low)
Car Stealing 45.47 (Moderate)
Robbery of Car belongings 54.56 (Moderate)
Attacks 41.67 (Moderate)
Drug offense 55.2 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 76.23 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 43.9 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 44.39 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 33.21 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 57.32 (Moderate)
Living in Auckland - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Auckland is 170.74 (Very High)
Safety Index 54.07 (Moderate)
Climate Index 99.95 (Very High)
Pollution Index 27.41 (Low)
Traffic Commute Time Index 39.49 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 86.35 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 72.51 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 11.68 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 99.29 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Auckland
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Auckland
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.64 USD
International Movie per seat 13.01 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 44.2 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 99.43 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 73.72 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Auckland Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Auckland
Auckland Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Auckland
343 Reviews Duration: 13 Hrs
See all the highlights of the Waitomo Caves and Rotorua in one day. You'll take a guided tour of Waitomo Caves stalactites an...
USD 240.35Book Now
50 Reviews Duration: 8 Hrs 30 Mins
Experience the best sights of Auckland City in the morning combined with an afternoon wilderness experience.
USD 169.05Book Now
10 Reviews Duration: 1 Hrs 30 Mins
Enjoy a relaxing 1.5-hour lunch cruise on Auckland's Waitemata Harbour aboard a 50 foot yacht while taking in the iconic sigh...
USD 84.94Book Now
Duration: 8 Hrs 30 Mins
Go sightseeing and wine tasting when your cruise ship is docked in Auckland, and fall in love with the ‘City of Sails&r...
USD 146.95Book Now
- Cities Near Auckland
- East Tamaki Tourism
- Manukau Tourism
- Pukekohe Tourism
- Pukekohe East Tourism
- Buckland School Tourism
- Whitianga Tourism
- Raglan Tourism
- Rotorua Tourism
- Taupo Tourism
- Top cities from New Zealand
- Christchurch Tourism
- Franz Josef Glacier Tourism
- Nelson Tourism
- Dunedin Tourism
- Wellington Tourism
- Queenstown Tourism
- Sunnyhills Tourism
- Greenstone Tourism
- Waipori Falls Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Paris Tourism
- Prague Tourism
- Rome Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Strachur Tourism
- Prunedale Tourism
- Trumau Tourism